Computer based recording VS stand alone workstation?

Fireside

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I'm new here. I would like to upgrade from my cassette based Tascam 488. I need more tracks and editing capabilities. I'm guessing digital is the way to go but should I go stand alone unit such as the Roland 1680 or since I don't own a computer yet, buy a computer and kill two birds with one stone? I can buy the 1680 and effects cards for around $2500. What will everything I need cost me going the computer route? Any difference in the sound quality between the two different ways? Which will have the steeper learning curve. Which way will be more easily updated? Any and all opinions welcomed! Thanks

With 2500 bucks, you can put together one hell of a nice DAW, which will be more versitile in the long run opposed to a "standalone" machine.

When you're ready, we can help you with your hardware selection (if you choose the computer route). In the mean time, the one thing you should check into are high quality soundcards. Check the following:
www.gadgetlabs.com www.lynxone.com

And software:
www.fasoft.com www.cakewalk.com www.cubase.com www.sonicfoundry.com

With $2500 you'll be able to afford one of the nicer cards, and still put together a machine with a couple nice fast 7200RPM drives, a CD burner, etc etc.

I am extremely biased, but it is my opinion that a DAW will provide you more long term options than any standalone machine...and I think the reasons are obvious. The downside is maintenance which can be minimalized if you're starting from the ground up. (e.g. you have your machine put together with the sole purpose of audio work in mind)

Slackmaster 2000

Back