Computer based recording VS stand alone workstation?

Fireside

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I'm new here. I would like to upgrade from my cassette based Tascam 488. I need more tracks and editing capabilities. I'm guessing digital is the way to go but should I go stand alone unit such as the Roland 1680 or since I don't own a computer yet, buy a computer and kill two birds with one stone? I can buy the 1680 and effects cards for around $2500. What will everything I need cost me going the computer route? Any difference in the sound quality between the two different ways? Which will have the steeper learning curve. Which way will be more easily updated? Any and all opinions welcomed! Thanks

PC based recording is going to give you more flexability when it comes to add-ons and upgrades. The cost of going with a PC can vary. You can start small and work your way up to something very expensive, the key is you can do it in small increments as your budget allows you. The PC will give you more editing capabilities than the Roland 1680, depending on your software.

Suggestion: Look around this BBS for the various gear made for the PC and compare them to the features of the Roland 1680.

Fishmed's right. As for learning curves - if you're not computer savvy, then going the computer route can mean having to solve problems getting all the bits to work together nicely in the beginning, whereas a standalone system requires little more than plugging it in and pushing a couple buttons. But like Fishmed says, the computer route'll give you more flexibility and scope.

Man, I just posted a reply to this same exact question from the same person in another forum. I think monty might be right.

Back