Compressors/Limiters(?)

mayan

I'm trying to wade through the wide world of processing and don't quite the difference between a compressor and a limiter? When does one use one and not the other? Do most songs/tracks utilize both? Hell, for that matter, which species does the Ultramaximizer? Thanx.

mayan,

Basically, a compressor raises the level of very quiet passages and lowers the level of very loud passages; a limiter only lowers the loud passages. I'm not sure what the UltraMaximizer does...

-AlChuck

Hey!

If I'm not mistaken,a compressor/limiter only lowers passages above a certain level and does nothing to the quiet passages. The difference is that a limiter works at a higher ratio (10:1 +) than a compressor(10:1 -).

A maximizer, I believe, brings up the level in a range of decibels that you set.

D out ITNOJ

I think there is another difference - with a limiter the volume cannot go any louder than the threshold. It stops dead at the threshold and so sounds a bit odd. A compressor though lets the volume get a bit louder than the threshold according to what ratio has been set. 4:1, I understand, is a good starting ratio. It will lower the volume, but not crush it completely. malgo

Back