Compressor (What Does It Do?)

Knopfler Fan

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of purchasing a compressor but I just want to make sure that the compressor will accomplish what I want.

I'm currently recording vocals through a condenser mic with the ART pre-amp into my Fostex MR-8.

I noticed that when I sing loudly the vocals clip and when I sing softly in other parts of the song, the recording is too soft. I would like to have a consistent vocal volume. Is this where the compressor comes in?

If so, what's a good compressor to buy and what sort of other peripherals do I need to use it?

Any help is much appreciated.

KF

A highly recommended read for newbies or non-techies(of which I am both) or people who just don't understand what compression is.

This was the best article I have read so far on compression. Plain English and no nonsense explanations.

Although I have kinda sorta gathered what compression was all about this article clearly explained threshhold, attack, ration, etc. and how they all fit together.

Thanks Bloodshark.

Way ahead of you Bloodshark. EQ, Dynamics Processing, decibels. Done downloaded and printed and reading as we speak.

Blue Bear - haven't yet checked your info but I am hungry for knowledge so I am on my way there.

I am not worthy!

a compressor will indeed help, but do not forget mic technique: back off the mic a bit when you pump the volume and get in close, even eat it when you are singing softly

Back