Compressor what do they do?

alibaba

hi I'm new in recording. And I have heard taht for recording vocals and using compressors is good? Can somebody please (very shortly) explai the main function of a compressor. Thanks

Hi

When someone sings, even if they're a good singer, the volume of their voice varies.
The problem is that when they sing quietly, you won't be able to hear it properly in the mix (it will be covered by the other instruments), and when they start sreaming in the mic, the sound is likely to distort.

Basically, a compressor tries to maintain the same output level (volume) whatever the input signal is.

Hope this helps

SM

Now you know how we feel :)

Teach yourself Swedish here: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~arubin/swedish.html http://www-lexikon.nada.kth.se/skolverket/swe-eng.html
and of course here: http://www.santesson.com/enginvek.html

That should keep you away from recording for a while :D

The first one to post a correct translation of the above sentence wins a free dinner at my place at a time that suits me. People who already speak Swedish or who have someone who translates for them are of course disqualified from the contest. Violators will be flogged with a räfsa. The correctness of the translation will be judged by me alone and I cannot be bribed in any way, shape or form, with the exception of expensive recording gear changing owners in a manner that is favorable for me.

/Ola

Hello Ed (sonusman)Rei. I think I beat you to
your plug via the url I posted earlier on this particular thread.BTW, great compression
info! :)

Ola,I'll take you up on your offer! give me
1 hour!.

Hello Ola! I got the translation in record time!

Roughly translated it means
"hello and welcome. You will find a lot of
goodies here!"
HA Ha ha ha ha ha ! :)

[This message has been edited by MISTERQCUE (edited 07-06-2000).]

You're wrong!

It's not roughly what it means - it's exactly what it means. I thought "gottis" would be a tricky one but maybe it was a lucky guess.

Just give me a haul when you visit Stockholm and I'll cook you some traditional savoury food. You'll be full for a week.

Welcome

/Ola

Seriously, my wife and I are considering visiting Sweden when we go on vacation in
October. We have narrowed it down to London,
Aruba,Jamaica,Hawaii,Sweden and Disneyland
Florida(for my daughters sake).
I'm shootin' for Sweden. Eventually we will
make our decision based on our finances and
what additional recording gear I need! :)

How did you come up with the idea of Sweden? Judging by the rest of the options (apart from London), it seems like you were aiming for some place warm. Also, Sweden (Stockholm anyway) in October isn't too nice. You may be super-lucky and have a few nice autumn days but you're most likely going to meet cold and wet weather, in Stockholm at least. July and August are the months to visit Sweden. Maybe in the winter if you're into snow and stuff but October, wet and soggy.

Anyway, if you do decide on visiting Sweden, you are most welcome all three of you. Also, if you come, I'll send you a shopping list.

Cheers

/OLa

Back