Compressor Tutorial

theshaggyfreak

Now, I know a little on the basics of using a compressor, but I would like to study up on it a bit more. Is there something out there that's not too lengty of a read that would give me some basic rules for setting up a compressor for different instruments? Guitar, bass, vocals, etc.

Come to think of it, I could use the same for EQ. I'd be very thinakful if anyone has a website or knows of a book that I should be reading.

I know a lot fo it is trial and error, but I figure studying up on my craft a bit more would help in the long run.

Mistake???

Hi

I read the above article and I think there is a mistake, but I could be wrong as I'm just learning about compression.

The author states that in Figure 2, a 2 dB rise in level at the input results in a 1 dB rise in level at the output. This is fine, but in the next paragraph the author says "if the output goes up 2 dB for every 1 dB increase in level at the input, then we have a 2:1 compression ratio."

According to this, Figure 3 is wrong. If the latter were true, the gain respose in Figure 3 would be mirrored about the dotted line (gain = 1). However, Figure 3 shows (looking at the 2:1 ratio) a 1 dB rise at the output for every 2 dB rise at the input, not the other way around as previously stated.

So, which is it? Is a 2:1 ratio equal to a 1 dB rise in output for every 2 dB rise in input?

Thanks

Looks like a typo (or maybe a "braino") in an otherwise excellent article.

It should say, "if the output goes up 1 dB for every 2 dB increase in level at the input, then we have a 2:1 compression ratio."

You get a gold star.

DonF said:

It should say, "if the output goes up 1 dB for every 2 dB increase in level at the input, then we have a 2:1 compression ratio."

You get a gold star.

I noticed that too when reading it, but I wasn't sure if it was just me or not.

DonF said:

You get a gold star.

Yea, a great article!

Back