Compressor Settings

Lawrence Bulloc

Having purchased a Behringer Autocom Pro MDX 1400 (which so far I'm happy with) I noticed that the manual gave some beginning compressor settings. They were helpful.

My question is: for those of you whose use compressors, do you have some basic standard compression levels for say, a rock song with dynamic vocals and sporadic peaks of loud guitar and drums, mid range songs with a more level dynamic range and softer tunes with perhaps only guitar, vocals and bass?

I realize I'm asking a lot and if this is counter to the discussion board, I apologize in advance.

It used to be, in the 'middle years' of the I'net--oh, 1995-8 ( I say this having been on the Net since 1987) that the standard answer would be: DO YOUR HOMEWORK. To which I would counter: But this IS my homework.

cheers

Lawrence Bullock

The problem is that there truly is no correct answer - Every song is going to be different. Input level variations of only a few dB are going to make a huge difference in settings.

This sounds lame, but start with all the knobs at 12 o'clock and see what it sounds like. Then, turn some knobs and pay attention to what happens. Always keep one hand on the make-up gain so you can compare the different sounds at similar volumes.

I use settings anywhere from -0@50:1 (smash limiting) to -50@1.1 to one (constant, variable compression).

Either way can be correct, either way might suck.

Did that help even a little tiny bit?

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

[EDIT] I certainly don't want to skip a VERY important point - If you're sending your mixes out for mastering, lose the compressor across the buss - Once it's there, it's there for good. Or bad. A dB or two of reduction you can probably get away with. Anything more is probably addressing something that should be corrected in the mix. [/EDIT]

I'm fairly new to recording myself. I've tried to get answers to the same question but have always been met with answers like Massive's post above.

It's frustrating because you just want to start getting good sounds out of your kit straight away but after a while you realise why these chaps say what they say.

Trial and error is definitely the way forward, particularly when it comes to compression. When you start to use a compressor effectively it's very satisfying and it makes a world of difference so do persevere.

One thing I would say is read lots and lots on the subject of compression (if you haven't already). It's one of those things which I found quite difficult to get my head round but once you've got a grasp of the theory and what each parameter is actually doing to your signal then the knob twiddling starts to have a bit more meaning.

All the best

I dont' understand the difficulties understanding compression (finding the correct settings, maybe yes, but not understaning it). I think of it as a valve. But whatever... like Kevin says, once it makes sense, it makes a world of difference. John's suggestion to start at 12 o'clock is good, but if you're not sure what you're even listening for, it still may be difficult at first. You may also want to try starting at extreme settings, and slowly backing off. Same idea, but changes may be more extreme for you to notice.

an example of settings across the buss for an upbeat rock tune I did recently (just so you can't say I avoided the question):
Threshold +2
Ratio 1.0
Attack 10ms
Release 0.1sec

This produced the best "rocking" sound I could find for the song, and did not smash it at all. Still, don't use any buss comp at all if you're having it mastered.

The thing with compression is that there can be several settings that can "work" with a certain sound - After that, it's all subjective.

I say to start "at 12 o'clock" because most compressors put certain settings there for a reason - Everything's "medium" and then you can tweak.

After getting used to compression parameters, you'll be able to listen to a track and instantly figure in your head what the best settings for that particular sound will be, have it 90% there, and tweak the last 10% until it's perfect.

John -

If you want it squashed, 80's syle, high ratio med attack fast release
clean, but limited= low ratio (2:1 or 3:1) fast attack, slow release
ymmv
In His Name
Big Kenny

Back