compressor question

mutt

I have a ART tube pac compressor/tube pre-amp which I like, but I can only run one mic thru it. It seems that the compressors I see in catalogs are one or two channels. I thought that a compressor must be connected from the mic, to the compressor, then to the mixing board. Or am I wrong. How do you hook up several vocal mics thru a compressor at the same time? Can you use the compressor with one of the effects sends like a reverb unit? Don't tell me you need a separate compressor unit for each mic!! ($$$$$$$$?????)

Also, what would be a good compressor for my home recording setup that would be able to connect several mics at once??

mutt

Usualy you'll hook up a compressor on a single channal via the send return of the mixer - send -> input of compresor -> output of compressor -> return.

You can patch in directly to a compressor if the instrumenl level is enough like a synth as long as you match levels and impendance.

Hooking up several mics to a single compressor isnt the best idea,
as every mic needs a different setting. A limiter can be used on several channals but that is for different reasons.

Hi Shailat

When you say send/return of the mixer, are you speaking of an effects send, like I control the effects unit with? Is this the same situation as my reverb unit connection? (Patch cord from the effects send out - to the reverb input - out from the reverb - in to channel 6 on my Tascam 564 digital 4 track mini disc recorder/mixer. (The 564 has two effect sends, but does not have an effects return, so I run it back into channel 6). That way I have a master effects control (the channel 6 fader) and each channel has it's own effects control. Would I run a line from the effects #2 send, which I'm not using for anything, to the compressor, and back from the compressor to another open channel and control the compression on each channel with the effects #2 knob for each individual channel? BTW, the effect control knobs on each channel are post fader sends.

Or are you basically saying is that if I have four mics recording at once, I need four compressors. ($$$cha-chingggg!! I don't think my wife, the financial advisor is going to like that answer. ) So do the major studios have a separate compressor for each mic?? WOW!! No wonder they charge so much for a CD!!

Also, Shailat, I do remember reading a very fine article you did on compressors some time ago. I just can't remember if you had anything in there about the actual physical connection to the mixer, etc.

mutt

If they are post fader then you have a problem.

You realize that when you are sending it back to another channel,
you still have the dry signal coming from the source channel as well.
That is a good thing as you can achive a good balance between your dry source and your wet new channel.
But that is a good thing for reverb for example and not for compression as you dont want the track that needs to be compressed to be heard (unless you are looking for a certain effect like adding punch to a track).

If the vocals in question are backvocals then if you could group them and send them to your compressor thats ok.
If they are soloist.....you have a problem.

Some solutions - Work on the vocalists and have them learn to control their singing by working the mic. Backing away a drop when they get louder and moving in a bit when lower.

You can try to play the faders when you mix moving them as a human compressor.

You can try to record with outboard preamps going to the compressor and recording your vocal part by part with light compression which might give you all the compression you need for the song.

You can try to get by with the good old line "I never use compression unless it's badly needed".

You can get rid of the wife.

Studios hold onto quite a few compressors. Usualy different ones
for specific jobs - color.

The article has nothing on cnnecting the compressor...sorry.

Shailat

Thanks for all the info and helpful tips. Now I have an idea what I'm up against.

mutt

Back