Compressor hook up

Revmuddy

I just got a DBX-166A and want some ideas on the connection scheme...I know there is no "best way" because it would depend on what you want to compress and how...right?
But I need to hear the most common ways to hook it up, and why.
I'm running a TSR-8 & XT-20 through a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro. I use a CC-222 to master the final CD's.
Right now it's patched into the "Main inserts" with two TRS cables. Are they mostly (usually) run into the inserts of the channel that you want to compress one at a time? or used mainly for mastering?
Please give me some feedback on this if you will...Thank You :)

Revmuddy said:
Are they mostly (usually) run into the inserts of the channel that you want to compress one at a time? or used mainly for mastering?

Yes, sure, depends on what you want to do. The RNC isn't really considered a mastering compressor by pro standards but this is home recording so do whatever get's the job done. If you are doing an analog mixdown through the board then 2 channels of compression really isn't enough unless you are doing very sparse arrangements. Once you get used to using the RNC and know what you want on the tracks you might try using it while tracking. That way you won't need as many compressors during the mixdown.

I didnt think he had an RNC. I thought he was talking about a dbx unit.

elaborate on what you are trying to acomplish with the comp and then I will lend some advice.

The DBX 166A would ideally *not* be used as a mix buss compressor, at least in my opinion. You would want to use it on mono or stereo tracks within the mix. So you would use it on an insert on whatever tracks you want to compress.

I used to have a few of those 1604 VLZ PRO's, and as I remember there are inserts on all 16 channels. That's where you would patch the 166A, between the XT20 and the mixer. That is to compress two channels at a time, not the whole mix.

Tyvm

Yes and Thank you all very much......It makes sense to use it on one channel at a time and sounds great! :) :)

Back