Compressor / Gate

bfsuk

Hey,
Just wondering what peoples views on the following compressors are. I'm looking to buy a compressor for use on vocals / guitar but don't have a huge ammount to spend but want to get the best possible.
I'm mainly wanting a compressor but a gate would also be very nice / useful to have. I usually record punk / rock music incase anyone needs to know that.

Other gear in the signal chain is:
M-Audio DMP3
Shure SM57
M-Audio Delta 1010LT

My DMP3 and Delta 1010LT arrive last week and so far I'm very impressed with them but feel my recordings need compression. I'd prefer to have an outboard instead of a plug in as I've heard for dynamic processors, outboard is better than plug in in most cases.

A couple I've looked at are:
Behringer Composer Pro
Behringer Tube Composer
Alesis 3630
DBX 266XL

If theres any others in this price range you'd reccomend over any of them (or have any suggestion on which would be best) I'd be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas to you all,
James

bfsuk said:
Hey,
I'd prefer to have an outboard instead of a plug in as I've heard for dynamic processors, outboard is better than plug in in most cases.

A couple I've looked at are:
Behringer Composer Pro
Behringer Tube Composer
Alesis 3630
DBX 266XL

If theres any others in this price range you'd reccomend over any of them (or have any suggestion on which would be best) I'd be very gratefull.

Okay, here's the inevitable suggestion: the RNC from FMR. I think they sell for something like $175. The compressors you've mentioned don't come close. In that price range the RNC is the only game in town unless you want an effect compressor.

Also, I think a very fine plugin compressor would beat those budget hardware compressors. But a very fine hardware compressor would beat a very fine plugin compressor. That's my opinion anyway.

I recently bought a plugin compressor made by Sonalksis, called the SV-315. These is no question in my mind that it is better than any of those budget boxes you have listed. It costs more than they do, too!

So the trick is to really go for quality rather than think that because you don't have a lot of money to spend that you can't get anything great. There are some great things out there that don't cost too much.

I have heard about the RNC but over here (UK) they're over double what the others cost. Might be a case of waiting a while untill I can afford that though if there really is so much difference. I've also heard good things about the JoeMeek ThreeQ but I know that's a pre-amp with a compressor in and when I've got the DMP3 I don't feel I can justify buying another pre-amp when I don't need it when I could get just a compressor which would probably be better quality.
James

I should tell you t avoid the behringer stuff but as a first comp with a gate the composer will get the job done. Avoid the 3630 and the behri tube at all costs.

Back