Compressor for recording bass guitar for $200 or less?

Deaj

I have a FMR Really Nice Compressor that I'm finding out is not very well suited for bass. Is there a compressor well suited for recording bass that can be had for $200 or less?

Thanks!

I have used the FMR for Bass recordings. I thought it was wonderful. Did you try tweeking all the settings? I got excellent use out of it.

FMR is the best compressor under $200.00

A trick I do to keep the bass under control is stuff a section of soft spongy foam under the strings just in front of the bridge the way the old Jazz Basses and PBasses were done in an age long past. You loose some highs and some sustain which may or may not crimp your style. I found I like this better than compression as it keeps the volume level of all the strings even. Its kinda vintage really. Varying the amount of foam will effect the sustain so experiment to suit your taste. Its a poor mans compressor.

Bob the Mod Guy.

Another thing to check out, (and get this, it's FREE) is to practice with a VU meter or some such thing and try to keep your level more consistant while you play. I've done it and it really helps. Of course, this is assuming you're using it for controlling input levels. If you're looking to get a certain sound by using a compressor, thats another story.
:D

I use a Presonus bluemax smart compressor on my bass rig when I play live. I use the "bass guitar" preset and just tweak the input and output. I haven't recorded with it yet, but it sounds like it would track nicely. You can get the single channel version (Comp 16)with the presets only (no manual mode) for $99. It will make a good DI box too.

Last edited:
i recorded lots of bass trough my joemeek vc8 fathead (with an instrument input) but since i discovered the cheap'n'old dbx163x compressor i'm using that thing, supersimple to use, plug the bass in the Hi-Z in, play with the fader and hopla, you get a FAT sound

the dbx 160 is supposed to be better and is real good for vocals too,
you can find a 160 for less than $200 on ebay
a 163x will cost you around $50, and these are special, not just like all other cheap compressors out there, they got a soul ;)

additional question, the stereo version of the symetrix 501, is that the 502 or the 522 ?

Reactions: NL5
The EBS Multicomp is within your price range, and I love it for bass. It's a stompbox style compressor that's transparent and excellent at what it's intended to do. Simple design, two knobs and a 3 way toggle. While the available controls may appear overly simplistic on the surface, less is more when it comes to available settings for bass compression in my opinion.

I typically set the compression between 9 and 12 o'clock which provides all the compression you'll ever need for pick or fingerstyle. You'll notice the onset of 'squash' associated with overcompression around 3 o'clock or so, however such a setting might be appropriate for slap style. Typically you wouldn't adjust the comp ratio past 2 o'clock though. Take the box in and out via the stomp switch while adjusting the gain until your post-compression level is spot on with your pre-compression signal and you're good to go.

There's also a 3 position toggle switch which I prefer set to TubeSim as it adds a pleasant dash of warmth to the signal. From there I run the signal to my RBI pre for recording, or my SVP pre for live situations. This is the ONLY box I'll put in line before my preamp, and believe me, I've tried a bunch. Alternatively, I'm sure this box would run fine in the f/x loop too. While I'm sure many sub $200 compressors add a tad of noise to a signal, I don't detect an appreciable amount from the EBS.

While I love most of Tech 21's stuff, I would avoid the Bass Compactor due to that unit being too noisy. If they could clean it up, it imparts a cool sound and all, it's just too noisy.

Last edited:
earworm said:
a 163x will cost you around $50, and these are special, not just like all other cheap compressors out there, they got a soul ;)

This is true... with the RNC and the dbx 163 you have most of the bases covered in the recording spectrum. The Hi-Z input in the 163x is definatley handy, and there are'nt too many better budget bass drum comps.

I've had lots of success with various dbx units. You also might be able to find a used Rane DC24 for around two bills. That has become my favorite compressor for bass. I also have a really old stomp box unit (made by Digitech, I believe) which is called the "Bass Compressor," and is intended for live use. It isn't as flexible as a rack unit, and is so noisy that it pretty much demands that you use a noise gate with it, but it will certainly work for bass compression duties.

Lot's of luck in your search, man!

I love opto based compressors for bass.
I use a Joe Meek MQ3 (comp / eq) or an Art Pro VLA. Both can be gotten used for under $200.

Tom

Not that this topic needs any more posts but the dbx 163x works great for me on bass and calmly-played clean neck-pickup guitar.

Beware that Level Match knob. The more clockwise you turn it, the more it'll bring up the background noise.

H

Let me throw in another vote for the dbx 163. I've got the 164, which is the stereo version of the 163. It is just the right thing for bass in a lot of different applications, and even finds its way as a drum overhead comp from time to time.

The RNC is great for many things, but I'd say bass is not one of them.

Back