Compressor basics

Mitch Glasgow

I've actually been recording at home for many years, for the sheer joy of it, but I have always had the nagging awareness that I don't really understand compression. I always have a hard time getting answers in English (as opposed to StarTrek-like techno-babble). I know that it is crucial to understand at least the basics, in order to avoid the most common mistakes.
Specifically, what exactly is meant by "attack," "release," "threshold," and "ratio?"
And what should I be looking for? For example, if the most wildly-fluxuating dynamics are in the guitar track, how should I compress it enough to tame it, without killing it?
I'm sure this is kindergarten stuff for a lot of you, but if you could offer any info, I would greatly appreciate it. Or, if you have better things to do than teach a total stranger (which I'm sure you do) perhaps you could suggest some understanable lessons on the subject (Compression for Dummies, perhaps?).

In simple terms:

attack: the amount of time before compression starts

release: the amount of time the compressor takes to stop compressing after the signal drops back under the threshold

threshold: the level at which compression begins

ratio: the amount of compression applied to the signal after it crosses the threshold

I record mostly jazz artists and don't compress too heavily in order to preserve the wide dynamic range that is important for this music. I compress the drums and, to a lesser extent, the vocals. It's just a matter of taste as to how much you should compress a signal, however don't overdo it or you'll hear "pumping and breathing" sounds in the recording, particularly on a lesser quality compressor. Experiment and find the settings that sound best to you.

I hope this is helpful.

Mark

Back