Compressor Advice

Linchpin

I lurk around on these boards almost every day just to soak up knowledge, but today I'm hoping for some help. My band is in need of a 2-channel vocal compressor for live shows. We've always used software to process vocals until this point, so I wanted to ask what rack compressor would be the best choice for the settings we use:

Dynamics Processing

Compress 8:1
Flat 1:1
Threshold -24

Gain processor-
Attack 1 ms
Release 50 ms

Level Detector-
Attack .5 ms
Release 300 ms

Rms
Look ahead time 3 ms

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, we can't afford anything too expensive (over $4-500)

Thanks

I'm not sure about the *best*, but a dbx 166 or 1066 would fit the bill.

I *think* the 1066 is in your price range, but it may have been used prices I was looking at. I have an old 166a that sounds good but think the 1066 is supposed to sound better and offers a bit more control.

You could get a couple dbx 160a's. They kick butt, but I think 2 puts them out of your range- maybe used.

At that price range you could also get a couple RNC's and have yourselves 4 channels of fantastic compression- you just can't use them as 4 mono. 2 mono or 2 stereo. By far the best compressor for the money. Try the "supernice" mode for your live vocals. Look them up. http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/fmraudio.html

Oh, and don't worry about the settings. Each compressor is going to be a bit different and you'll find the setting that work with your vocals and whatever unit you end up getting.

Take care,
Chris

Thanks for the help guys. The thing is we're a metal band, and the vocals need to be really crushed to sound right. Will any of those suggestions work to squish the the hell out of non-melodic vocals?

Linchpin said:
Thanks for the help guys. The thing is we're a metal band, and the vocals need to be really crushed to sound right. Will any of those suggestions work to squish the the hell out of non-melodic vocals?

Sounds like you need a limiter more than you need a compressor if the vocals are that extreme in a screaming volume.

Linchpin said:
Then would the Yamaha GC2020C be a good choice?
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--YAMGC2020C

I'm not extremely clear on the difference between compression and limiting.
Geezz, those are still around? :rolleyes: :D The're (or were, maybe the've changed them)... fairly dark, grab hard hard and finicky at the threshold, lots of features and I/O options, the gate is a joke, the comp can be 'interesting and usefull in it's own way in a fast release mode.
I'm not extremely clear on the difference between compression and limiting.
Then maybe a few things to mention... A little comp on live vocal can go a long way. And in the wrong way can get you lots of new problems instead of what you might expect -feedback being one.
You might consider a DBX 160xt -low to med ratio (that's compression. 10:1 on up gets into limiting- probably not want you want right off...
Will there be a sound guy to help sort it out?
Wayne

Ideally we (or I, more specifically) would like to be able to do our own sound. I'm skilled in most areas of recording. Compression is one of those things I still struggle to fully understand. I can feel out a good setting usually, but I want the compressor we use to at least be cabable of the sound I'm looking for. Until now I have been using software where there is no limitation of a rack unit.

The setting in my other post are exactly how I compress vocals when mixing

Limiting:
If you have ever tried to set a record level and there were peaks that hammered into the red then a limiter was needed. It would limit the peaks to a preset level then you could turn the level up for a good overall level. Peak limiting affects only the peaks and does nothing below the set level.

Compression:
Quote from the 3630 manual
" Compression is similar to limiting, but rather than clamp all signals to a constant threshold, the output changes by a lesser rate than the input. For example with a 4:1 compression ratio a db input level change produces 1db output level change."

For live karaoke shows with 20 to 30 different singers and various conditions we use a Dbx 266xl and with overeasy on it doesnt require tweaking in fact once set it pretty much stays that way all night. The ratio usually is at 2:1 to 3:1 and hardly any gating.

So far the only comps mentioned that meet your requirements ar ethe DBX 166 and 1066. The fmr and DBX 160's don't have as many parameters on them for shaping. I would avoid those nasty yamaha's at all costs until you have a few more standard comps first (for flexibility purposes).

Back