Compression

MrMusicAu

When you have finished creating your own recording using CEP2 and mixed down all tracks, what is the best compression to use to give a nice all round full togetherness sound without it sounding like it's all seperated?

...it's verrrrrryyy subjective and vary. You can't tell without listening to the song, and analyze here and there. Too many factor & things to be considered. It should be done in the mixing session to put them together, while you still have each tracks running, not after they mixed into two tracks... That's what mixing is all about. However, using light reverb on the master out sometimes may help put them together in the same room. Not too much. Just lite and gentle 'til they tight.
:cool:

Jaymz.

Yep I agree with James here. You should apply compression and reverb to each track individually when you are mixing the session. Then after you mixdown as James said apply a little bit of room reverb so everything sounds like it was recorded at the same place. Also you should apply a limiter to the main track as this will boost the mix to the highest level possible without clipping to give you a more powerful and strong sound.

Tukkis

Ok, I'll give you all a little more info' on what I'm doing then:

1. I'm a soloist who does his own backing music and sometimes use a second person to come play at gigs with me using backing I create in midi format then record each seperate instrument as seperate tracks in Cool Edit Pro 2.0.

2. I can use any effects on any track and even fatten up a track by using the EQ.

3. After panning what I want to go to Left and Right side, I mix down all tracks to stero.

mrmusic - I think if you read James and Tukkis' posts until you understand them, you'll find the answer to your question there. Really.

I don't think compressing a mixdown is necessary in most cases. You should compress and EQ each track seperately, in the multi-track... and mix the volumes subtely to create "perfect" mix. If you're mixing is sub-par, compressing will probably make it sound even worse.

Thanks guys, that website looks to be helpful, so much so that I've decided to put it my favorites.

As another interesting subject I found out that when making backing CD's for stage work compression isn't really the go, I have tried numerous ideas to make it sound better but then went back to the original to compare and found that the only thing to do with backing instruments is to try and make them sound more realistic by using CEP's Effects.

Below is what I do:
1. Record midi instruments in CEP.
2. Edit each individual instrument to make it sound realistic.
3. Go to the mutitrack view.
4. Insert all instrument and pan them accordingly.

James Argo said:
...Perhaps this link can give MrMusicAu a bit clearer basic idea about mixing. Michael explained it so Cool ;)

http://www.audio-recording-center.com/article-mixing.html

;)
Jaymz

that's a great article!!!

besides hard listening and learning by trial, do you guys have any suggestion on further reading/in depth info regarding: "........it takes time to understand what eq does to individual instruments......" ???

are there any helpful eq templates???

...Yo all there EQ mania, follow this link and check 'em out. I'm having difficulties on picking which is better, they all do just great. so, suite yourself.

http://www.studiocovers.com/articles6.htm

are there any helpful eq templates???

Nope, it's vary and subjective also. But somehow, if you use DirX plugins (like Timeworks etc...), there's several presets to be used as starting point on Eq.

;)

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just to inform you all that New Years Eve gig was a smash and man, what a full house.

Recordings I've done with CEP came out great and there was enough botton end to blow them away without destortion or low bottom hums. You see, I seperate my instruments into two sections.

1. DRUMS AND BASS on Right Channel.
2. STRING, GUITAR, PIANO ETC... on Left Channel.

This gives me an overal total control. HOW?

EASY!!
I'll try and explain the best I can OK?

First, You may think that just having DRUMS AND BASS on the right Channel doesn't give you much control RIGHT? But that is not correct, In fact, your total control comes from your stage mixer where you can either bring forward CYMBALS, HIHAT TAMBORINES and all the high signals or set them further back by using the Treble. The secret I found with the SNARE, TOM1 and TOM2 works with the Middle frequency but treble gives them the presents as well. I use the mids to lower or raise their volume and presents. The Bass frequency allows you to bring the BASS more forward to the front or set it further back (depending on what you like).

Secondly, The same as above is also related to the left Channel of your recording where you have all the little finner bits such as STRINGS, GUITAR, PIANO, ETC....

If you don't have a stage mixer but would love to have one, I'm sure that there are many none-amplified second-hand mixers out there. I've picked my 12 channel mixer up for under $100.00. It doesn't have a power amp' with it, but it sure does the trick when I plug it into one.

If you have midi files that you want to record into CEP, then if you also have a midi editor. Record each individul instrument into CEP and edit them to your likening. When editing my wave tracks (which I recorded from midi), I use mainly the | Effects | menu option.

Another great Idea I've found is that, if you have the original mp3 or wave file of the song you really like but can't get all the voices out of it, Simply load that song you want and do a little copying and mix paste into your midi file that is now a wave file. Be sure that the original and midi is in the same key and tempo. This way if you like an intro what the original song has and you want that intro into your own wave file, you can copy the original and Mix-Paste it intro your own wave (recorded midi file). It took me to do a song with harmonies and all the guitar licks at leat 4 hours. This song is Abracadabra from the Steve Miller Band. It was worth all the work and now I have a complete and great sounding backing of that song. If you have that song in mp3 format or whatever, play the song and listen to the gaps where there is no main vocals, you will find that it has a lot to offer as far as getting a true backing by using CEP.

Back