Compression: Should I use it during recording or mixing?

soss

I will be recording guitar and bass through amp emulation plug-ins into REAPER. Doing some tests, I think I'm going use some subtle compression (maybe some eq and gating too). Should I do this as I record, or add it in when I remix? Are there advantages/disadvantages for either method?

There are probably some advantages to doing it on the way in....but I can't think of any. :eek:

Especiialy, since you're going to be using simulation, why not wait until you have everything in your computer so that you're not stuck with compression/gating that you can't change if you don't like it.

I'd recommend during mixing. Technically there's nothing wrong with using it on the way in, but if you change your mind later there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Ok, maybe I should just record using a limiter then. Occasionally I will hit a low note too hard and it distorts. Will a limiter prevent that? I have never used one before. Any recommended settings for bass guitar?

I have this free Antress ModernLimiter plug-in with just four knobs: in/release/range/out. How would I go about setting this?

Any other limiter plug-ins I could try (free or otherwise)?

Ok, maybe I should just record using a limiter then. Occasionally I will hit a low note too hard and it distorts. Will a limiter prevent that? I have never used one before. Any recommended settings for bass guitar?

I have this free Antress ModernLimiter plug-in with just four knobs: in/release/range/out. How would I go about setting this?

Limiter, compressor, whatever. Use whatever tool you think you need. The question wasn't which tool you should use, it was whether you should use them on the way in.

If notes are distorting, you're probably recording too hot. Your recording levels shouldn't go anywhere near overload. So, if you want to get better recordings, instead of using "band-aids" to fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place, you should ask yourself why those problems are occuring in the first place. In this case, it seems that you need to get your gain-staging together and not record so hot. Then, you probably won't need a compressor, limiter, or any other tool.

Advantages to "on the way in":

*You can't change it later. Yes, that can be an advantage depending on how your brain works. For some it helps focus the project.

*It can also help with overdubs since the existing sounds will never change to possibly clash with the overdub tone in the future. You can overdub with the confidence that if it works now, it will work at mix time.

It can be scary compressing (or doing any sort of processing) on the way in, but I love to do it. Ask yourself this: Do you have a harder time tying together many lose ends at the end of the project, or do you have a harder time anticipating exactly what sound you need at the beginning of the project? I hate tying together lose ends, so I lock down sonic choices as early as I can.

Plugins hardly qualify as "on the way in". By the time you can use a plugin the signal is already "in".

When you say it distorts, what exactly is "it"? I mean, what piece of hardware is distorting? Lower the signal level before it gets to that hardware. Reducing level later is pointless since you just end up with a quieter signal with distortion.

I'll sometimes use a compressor on bass "on the way in" (and I'm talking a real hardware compressor here...) to mask limitations in my bass, and more particular my bass playing - not much though and I'm talking DI bass and it fits in the context of what I'm doing because bass is not a feature, per se, of the music, and I know what works.

However, as bouldersound says, a plug in isn't on "the way in" - it's already in at that point.

I actually was checking my various music sites/blogs that I like to read today, and found this post about this very subject! Check it out! Plus maybe browse the other stuff...I've always liked this particular blog.

Kim Lajoie’s Blog

If notes are distorting, you're probably recording too hot. Your recording levels shouldn't go anywhere near overload. So, if you want to get better recordings, instead of using "band-aids" to fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place, you should ask yourself why those problems are occuring in the first place. In this case, it seems that you need to get your gain-staging together and not record so hot. Then, you probably won't need a compressor, limiter, or any other tool.

So what would you recommend the recording levels to be set at for a guitar or bass? I guess it doesn't matter what instrument, but that is what I'm recording (FYI). I have done some reading on the web and I have found -10 and -6. As long as there is no distortion on peaks, does it even matter? Can that be compensated during mixing? I'm using REAPER and there is a master level meter and individual track meters. Should the meters be peaking at he same level during recording?

And yeah, when I said "on the way in" all I meant was applying a compression plugin so I am hearing the effect through the record monitor as I'm strumming. I guess it doesn't matter when I apply the plugin, right?

Thanks again for all the help in the meantime. Just ordered a book on this.

So what would you recommend the recording levels to be set at for a guitar or bass? I guess it doesn't matter what instrument, but that is what I'm recording (FYI). I have done some reading on the web and I have found -10 and -6. As long as there is no distortion on peaks, does it even matter? Can that be compensated during mixing? I'm using REAPER and there is a master level meter and individual track meters. Should the meters be peaking at he same level during recording?

Aim for an average signal level of about -18dBFS and peaks below -12dBFS. Levels tend to creep upward so start conservative. There are good reasons to leave plenty of headroom.

And yeah, when I said "on the way in" all I meant was applying a compression plugin so I am hearing the effect through the record monitor as I'm strumming. I guess it doesn't matter when I apply the plugin, right?

Sometimes you need effects on an instrument during recording, like when they are a part of how you play it. Compression, echoes and distortion are common guitar effects that impact the way it's played. If you don't record the effect and it's only in the monitors then you get the best of both worlds: effects to play of off during tracking and a dry recording that you can process later during mixdown.

Thanks again for all the help in the meantime. Just ordered a book on this.

OK, if your levels aren't peaking going into REAPER, but you're still getting distortion on some notes, then either something is over-loading somewhere along the chain, or maybe your speakers just aren't handling some of the lower notes and your distortion has nothing to do with levels. Without being there, I can't say.

As far as recording levels, -10 to -6 are fine, but personally, I would make those my peak levels. not my average levels. But, to answer your question, as long as you're not peaking over "0" technically it doesn't matter.

As far as where you put the limiter or compressor, it matters if you're trying to use it to reduce the level coming into your computer. As others have mentioned, if you use a plug-in, you're doing nothing for level coming IN to your computer, it's too late by that time.

EDIT:

BOULDER and I were posting at the same time. His answers are more accurate. I also record down in the -18 range. I just thought it would freak you out if I told you to go that low, since that probably sounds rediculously low to you right now.

Back