Compression Question (and more)

Adrian W.

Cool Edit Pro 2.0

Can someone suggest a good compression setting for leveling out the dynamics slightly of a fingerpicked acoustic guitar. I don't want to squash the sound and lose all dynamics, just even out the levels a bit. Same for quiet vocals.

Also, I'm trying to figure out best order in which to apply effects, specifically compression, delay, reverb and normalization, all used in moderation. Currently this is a mono track recorded to a single mic and I'd like to open it up a bit (without double-tracking, though that's an option) by copying and panning each track. I'm thinking slightly different mild delays on each track may work. Any suggestions on opening up/expanding mono tracks?

Thanks.

You can try slightly dif delays on a doubled track. Also try some verb on the panned doubled track. That sounds good when you dont do the entire track but only parts for emphasis.

Stay away from CEP's compressor. Its unpredictable and not very good for dynamic instruments like acoustics, drums or vocals. Get a comp plugin like waves C1, Ultrafunk's compressor, or sonic timeworks compressor X. Of those, ultrafunk's is probably the most cost effective...$50. Its very good and can do thick or thin.

Generally, a typical order would be EQ-->compression-->delay, flange, chorus or whatever effects youre using-->reverb. Sometimes compressing first and doing EQ second is better. Generally reverb will always be last. If youre using CEP 2.0 you should take advantage of real time FX which allows you to tweak everything at the same time.

Stay away from normalization. Use compression for raising the gain or evening out peaks. There is nothing normalizing will do that is not done much better by a good soft compressor.

Pilgrim - do you know how Ultrafunk's EQ and Reverb stack up against Cool? I'm pretty happy with Cool's EQ, but then, I haven't tried anything else. :D

Dobro - Ultrafunk's EQ is a little smoother and each dB of gain means more. Its ok as software EQs go. There are those who rave about it, I didnt see what there is to rave about..I havent spent enough time with it. You can download it for free to try from ultrafunk.com.
For most cutting and subtle boosting I use waves' Q10. For more global boosts I use the renEQ. Though more and more I find the Q10 really accurate and effective. It does what you need it to do smoothly while preserving tonal character. I havent used CEPs EQ in a while, its low mid/high bass (200-500) aint that hot. The top end sounds nice, but what you would accomplish in waves with 3dB in CEP is more like 6dB.

Ultrafunks reverb is not as good as CEPs. In fact CEPs new quickverb smokes ultrafunk's verb, nevermind CEPs fullverb. (CEPs quickverb is a very, very good verb...I dont know how CEP managed to nail so many nice sounding verbs when there are so few good ones out there).
Waves renverb is also very nice and I use that just as often and sometimes more than CEP. Also sonic timeworks makes a good reverb. Wavelab's naturalverb is good too. All these reverbs sound dif...they provide dif solutions to dif problems. We could still benefit from some more reverb options as soft reverbs are still playing catchup with hardware. There are only a couple of reverbs that sound amazing no matter what you do with them.
BTW, check out PSPs new delay...its incredible. Beats waves multitap stuff. Very warm sounding. All PSPs plugs add low harmonics in one way or another which really works on the delay. Thats what other delays (including CEPs) are missing. Highly recommended

Thanks very much for your comments - I'm about to ante up for some plugins and it's useful to hear from someone who's compared loads of different software. Cheers, Pilgrim. :)

Back