Compression in Sonar

BibleMan

Hi all.

I am approaching Post Production on my first Sonar project, and have been reading everything I can on digital effects - specifically Compression / Limiting.

There seems to be lots of stuff out there about the art of Compression (when to use - what to achieve), but no real "how to's" for getting started (i.e.: if you turn this knob, this way, this will happen).

I know there are no absolutes - I am just looking for a starting point.

Do any of you know of a good reference for a beginner in this regard? :confused:

Thanks, in advance, for your always great responses.

:cool:

-bm

As you realise, there are no right nor wrong "ideal" or "magic" settings for compression but the "classic" compression setting has a threshold set at -20db a ratio of 7:1, attack of 2.0 and release of 100. Gain make-up would be about 5db.
Hope this helps. Also, look at this link for some great tips and for greater understanding:
http://prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/B425578C027460898625661000745390
This was written by Rip Rowan, Editor, ProRecording web site.

when in doubt listen....also try using the presets as starting points and tweak the settings from their

Peronally I would start with a ratio of 3:1. But it depends a TON on the dynamics of the song, how well the individual tracks were compressed, etc...

Your manual will give some information about what each of the controls will do. You might also do a search on this forum using "compression" particularly in the Mixing/Mastering Board.

Back