Compression for Bass Guitar?

Accroya

I know that compression shrinks dynamic range, and I have experimented with it a little, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm mainly interested in compressing bass guitars. I'm looking for something that will make bass a bit more punchy and keep it in check just a bit. Can someone give me some insight on this and some good sample settings? Should attack time be fast or slow? How does ratio work? What is Threshold level? Does the gain just boost volume? By the way, I'm using the compression built into the Fostex VF-16 digital multitracker. Any replies would
be appreciated.

Start off reading this - http://24.61.136.253/index

A very fast attack will even out your playing more but achieve a less punchy sound.
The release is a bit tricky. Make sure you release fast enough so that it doesnt effect the attack of the next note, but to fast is also problematic as it might make the compression stick out in a obvious way.

Here is a starting point only - to be tweaked !!! from here.
Set a ratio from 3:1 - 7:1 (depending on your needs)

Set the attack time to a setting were it will be fast but make sure the sound isnt dull or lifeless or that is a sign your attack is to fast.

Set your release to around .5 secs

Set the Threshold to show reduction at around 6dB at peaks.
All that was a starting point yet you will need to decide how to tweak from here....does your track need compression?...perhaps better it was replayed?...etc..etc...

If you don't know what all the functions of a compressor do or are then dont compress a single note until you do.

This setting will work with everything: guitars (electric, acoustic), bass, vocals, mixes, drums (overheads, snare, kicks, cymbals), background vocals, glockenspiel, drum machines, synths, dobro's, recorder, trumpet, clarinet, bassoon, timpani's, piano, flute, pipe organ, salami.......etc

I call it the 'The magical compressor setting" - This setting has been handed down from generations of my family who discovered the setting back in the early 1970's. Rumor has it every engineer/producer all over the globe who has ever won a grammy knows this setting. So without further adieu' here it is:

Threshold: 0 db
Ratio: 2:1
Attack: .1 msec (or the fastest setting your compressor has)
Release: .5 msec (a little slower than your compressors fastest
(setting)
Gain: 0db

:D

Really though - your question is not an easy one to answer - however the setting I gave you is a great starting point. The only control that you really need to mess with is the Ratio. The higher the Ratio, the more your signal gets squashed (and loses dynamic range)

Shalait has a good starting point, however (as he noted) if you really want punch, you have to slow down the attack to allow the initial punch through before the compressor kicks in. As he also noted, his settings will smooth out the bass.

You will have to adjust Gargamel's attack and release settings based on the instrument you are compressing and speed at which it is being played. Generally, faster attack = smoothness and slower attack = more punch. Also, you always need to adjust the threshold depending on how hot of a signal you are sending the compressor. For example, if your input signal is too quiet, it will never reach the threshold, if it is too loud, the compressor will mush the entire signal.

Back