Compression and auto release

Stavencrows

In cubase there's an option to use auto for the compression release value that alters it in real time based on what you're compressing at that moment. Is this a good feature or is a static release value better? I've not really noticed much difference myself (I've only compressed vocals with limited dynamics)

I know that some plug ins have good ARC, but i dont know if cubase has a good one. I usually set the release myself and then compare it to the ARC. It is really hard to notice much of a difference unless you either have bad judgement of release times or you have really good hearing for these things. You want to be listening out for a rapid volume change = bad.

i use auto release on our neve vr console on bass if the playing has a lot of changing from stacatto to legatto,i think it works fine.

I feel I have a good handle on compressor set up, but the last time I used my 166xl, (in this case they were live sound vocal/rehearsal/ginni-pigs :D ) I couldn't better the auto setting.
Guess it depends when, where and who's. :D
Wayne

freak1c said:
i use auto release on our neve vr console on bass if the playing has a lot of changing from stacatto to legatto,i think it works fine.

Which studio? Conservatory studio? I'm from AZ as well. Just wondering.

In most cases, unless you have out of control vocalists, arc will work in most cases. But, trial and error is the best teacher. Just make sure the release sounds natural (you can tell if its overcompressed). If you arc setting sounds good, go with it.

yes,the conservatory studios, elektrokaz, we got 2 neve vr's and 2 ssl g+'s,
o ya and 2 neotek elites too but i dont like using neotek in the same sentence as ssl and neve,lol, just bragging.

I'm using the Kjaerhus VST Golden Peak Pressor (GPP-1) today and it has a Program Dependent Envelope (PDE):

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/gpp-1.php

The manual decsribes what PDE does like this:
Program Dependent Envelope times are used to reduce the pumping effect and maximize loudness. Basically it will reduce the attack time if there is a short time of lower signal level, and reduce the release time if there is a short peak with a higher signal level (such as a kick drum). This behavior is particularly desirable with mixed program material. In this scenario it will apply fast and effective compression to peaks, while giving a more natural sounding release phase with lower harmonic distortion after a harder or longer lasting compression.
So in the case of GPP-1 PDE affects both the attack and release times depending on the program content. In addition the release setting I make is a maximal figure (I am using settings like 70ms and 100ms at the moment) so that if PDE decides it needes to shorten it then it can, if not then my release settings are used. Pretty cool feature! Don't let the dumb human shoot himself in the foot...Thanks Torben :cool:

Back