Compression: analog or digital?

DenverRob

Greetings,

I have an Alesis 3630 dual-channel compressor. I also have a Yamaha AW16G mulitrack digital recorder. The AW16G has internal compression, which works in the digital realm (after the analog signal has gone through the A/D converter). Where would it be better to compress? I'm thinking it would be best to compress using the external Alesis *prior* to converting the signal to digital. This would allow for the highest possible signal-to-noise ratio prior to digitizing the signal. But maybe I'm wrong?

Related question: I have an external preamp (M-Audio DMP3). I assume the mikes should go into the preamp first, then the compressor (assuming I use the external compressor rather than compress in the digital realm).

Rob

You're working in 24-bit... DON'T WORRY about the S/N ratio.

Get a decent level, don't clip, and go. If your PEAKS are at -3, -6, even -12, it isn't a problem.

Headroom = good room. Embrace it, take advantage of it.

You'll most likely end up with MUCH better sounding mixes. And if it means anything, the stuff that normally leaves here the loudest came in unusually quiet.

I shouldn't say "unusually quiet" - I should say "properly leveled."

Honestly, there are plugin compressors that are nicer sounding than most budget compressors. Unless you have the bucks to lay down for something like an LA2A, 1176, Variable Mu or ELOP you are usually just better getting the UAD-1 card and using those plugs.

The Alesis 3630 is possibly the worst compressor ever made....

The FMR RNC is good for the price.

MM, thanks for the reply. So you're saying, don't worry about the large signal swing in the analog domain, just get the peaks below clipping and don't worry about the lows?

Cloneboy, you're talking about plug-ins and cards; are you talking about for a computer? I don't use a computer; I'm using the Yamaha AW16G multitrack recorder.

As for the Alessis 3630, I saw the category for that and posted. I bought that thing 10 years ago just cuz it was the only one in the store I was in, and I was ignorant about compressors at the time. Or, to be more precise, *more* ignorant than now. :)

Rob

If by "lows" you mean the amplitude of the signal, right.

Just had a session yesterday - Out of 13 songs, the absolute highest peak was below -6dB. Most tunes didn't even hit -9. Sounded wonderful. Open, airy, easy to work with.

I would argue that at the TRACK level, it's even more "natural" to keep the levels down. Think about it - If you've got two tracks that simultanously hit -6dBfs, you're going to clip. Try running a dozen or more...

You're never going to have them that high for the most part. You'll consistently be turning them DOWN to keep the mix levels reasonable.

Back