compressing

djclueveli

when u guys compress insrtuments, is your goal to make that instrument sound evened out? do you also normally compress every instrument to 3-6 db gain reduction? also what kind of attack and release time do you use sometimes? i know it's al ear but i'm just curious. i compress pianos with about 4 db gain reduction and attack time of 30 ms and release time of 500 ms. where does your attack time normally range from (1-10ms etc.) and where does your release time normally range from? does anyone compress hi hats and claps?

dj,

Have yourself a free download copy of the "Compression Uncompressed" hyperbook tutorial I have a link to in my signature. That covers most of the basics of using compressors and pretty much provides answers where possible to all the questions you're asking.

G.

I almost never compress anything to even out the level. Certainly not with a DAW.

If you don't know why you are compressing stuff, why would you compress it?

When mixing a band, I usually compress individual instruments to level out the peaks.. there's a nice compression in Goldwave "reduce peaks" you can listen to it, adjust treshold so that you first hear it squashing then back off until the squashing stops-->press ok, and then you can see it leveling the peaks in the wav-chart somewhat.

It helps in the end, when you put them together, there's no huge peaks in the final wav-chart, that start clipping if you increase overall volume.

Ofcourse, if you can compress the peaks allready on recording, using gear or adjusting playing it's better...

Finally, when the mix is done, I usually normalize it to 0db using wavelab --> reduce peaks in goldwave once more, then add gain or normalize again in wavelab. Just to get some volume.

Ofcourse, if the final mix is low enough to begin with, I try out wavelabs tubecomp-gate-limiter OR softkneecomp-gate-limiter to pump it up to begin with. Which sounds better. Then I might dabble with multiband compressor to take out some mud in the low-middleground, and a puncher to clarify things up a bit. But with these you must be careful since they might turn some areas, like cymbals into sizzling crap...

..but for solely gain reduction, I wouldn't use a compressor...

When mixing a band, I usually compress individual instruments to level out the peaks.. there's a nice compression in Goldwave "reduce peaks" you can listen to it, adjust treshold so that you first hear it squashing then back off until the squashing stops-->press ok, and then you can see it leveling the peaks in the wav-chart somewhat.

It helps in the end, when you put them together, there's no huge peaks in the final wav-chart, that start clipping if you increase overall volume.

Ofcourse, if you can compress the peaks allready on recording, using gear or adjusting playing it's better...

Finally, when the mix is done, I usually normalize it to 0db using wavelab --> reduce peaks in goldwave once more, then add gain or normalize again in wavelab. Just to get some volume.

Ofcourse, if the final mix is low enough to begin with, I try out wavelabs tubecomp-gate-limiter OR softkneecomp-gate-limiter to pump it up to begin with. Which sounds better. Then I might dabble with multiband compressor to take out some mud in the low-middleground, and a puncher to clarify things up a bit. But with these you must be careful since they might turn some areas, like cymbals into sizzling crap...

..but for solely gain reduction, I wouldn't use a compressor...

I don't know if I want to get in to it, but this is contrary to just about every way I'd go on these points.
Wayne

I usually put light compression (1.5:1) on the snare to beef it up a little, I put semi-light compression on both bass guitar and bass drum (3:1) just to even out the notes. Otherwise, I don't use it much.

The tutorial is really good. Some of it was a bit over my head, but it helped clear up a lot of the popular misconceptions about compression for me. Thanks a lot southside.

Back