Compressing is depressing

noodles2k5

I've been playing around with software compressors, but I don't notice a significant difference in levels. Is there some kind of graphical tool I can use to squash the peaks in my bass guitar track?

Would I get a the same effect if I normalize to a certain level? I know visually, the wave would get squashed... but since I don't know what good compression sounds like, I can't really compare the sound. Or how about a limiter? That would get rid of my peaks, eh?

noodles2k5 said:
I've been playing around with software compressors, but I don't notice a significant difference in levels. Is there some kind of graphical tool I can use to squash the peaks in my bass guitar track?

I assume you'd better learn to use compression right... Do a search in here for compression, and you should be able to read a bunch of good tips...There are graphical tools where you can determine any compression curve, but you end in the same problems: either you use the compression (timing) settings with these tools, or you simply distort the sound (which can be a very easy way to enhance a bass track!!! You might try a tube emulator or so with some distortion - I like that quite a lot). IMHO, the only 'halfway graphic' tool would be to manually adapt the volume track in your DAW to ear (and maybe eye) -- if possible... But I don't work that way, so someone else might be better help.

noodles2k5 said:
Would I get a the same effect if I normalize to a certain level? I know visually, the wave would get squashed... but since I don't know what good compression sounds like, I can't really compare the sound.
No, normalization is something completely different. You MIGHT try to normalize every single note, but that COULD work only, if you don't have any overlapping notes... There are books that may help alot in starting to mix, that have CDs with them. Alas I only know some german ones...

noodles2k5 said:
Or how about a limiter? That would get rid of my peaks, eh?
That is a special case of a compressor, but might work easier, as you have one parameter less to adjust... I often dislike the limiters, as they tend to be a little drastic in their changes... But it depends a lot on what you're trying to achieve: are the peaks just the attack of the bass or is it inconsistent playing?

And BTW: don't ask for the 'right' compressor settings - they depend on your track, taste a.s.o.!

aXel

I am by no means a pro but I think it would be safe to say you really can't hear really good compression.

If you are using the compressor and you hear it you're doing something wrong or you are creating an effect.

Think of compressors as an "automatic volume knob"

Whenever the volume goes above a certain point say -12db (threshold) depending on what you set your RATIO to is how much volume the compresser is going to let out.

Say you have a ratio of 3:1...

This means it is going to take 3db (the first number in the ratio) OVER -12db (the threshold) before the compressor lets out 1db (the second number in the ratio) of volume out.

Hey you pros out there if I screwed this up help me out I understand compression I just can't explain it to anyone very well.

Last edited:
Heres a trick I figured up for setting the release times on a compresser maybe someone thought of it before I did but I never read about it.

I have no idea if this will work for you or not but I use a delay calculator and set the release according to the tempo of the song and whether the beats in 1 measure of the track I'm compressing.

Either 1/4's 1/8's 1/16's etc then set the release to whatever that number is on the calculator. Works out well for me. My attack setting is pretty much a guess though. :p

That's not a bad method really, but it depends on the program material, and if your after serious pumping effects, it's probably the best way to go.

Back