Compressers question

bardo

I understand the basic's but still can not seem to grasp the function.
For instence:us a compresser to bring mix's up in level"
When I compress the level goes down(compressed)(squezzed into a tighter package)
Do I then boost it back up now that I have squezzed the high peaks(compressed)
And what brings up the low peaks?

Sorry for the basic brain numbness.

Bardo:confused:

Imagine one of those balloons that clowns twist into animals. It is half full of air. What happens when you squeeze the end with the air in it? The air fills in the rest of the balloon and evens it out. That's what a compressor does to a sound wave. It squashes the higher noise level peaks, thereby bringing the sound level of the lower peaks out, because it is more even.

I hope that I explained it well.

Hey Rokket. How's it going at sea?

Oh, and to the OP, FWIW it's "compressor", not "compresser".:D

Not that I care a lot about spelling.

Hey Rokket. How's it going at sea?

Oh, and to the OP, FWIW it's "compressor", not "compresser".:D

Not that I care a lot about spelling.

I am on a hospital ship about to go on a humanitarian mission...:cool:

And I get to go home at the end of July!:D

I'll be in the Seattle/Bremerton area early nexy year...

But enough thread hijacking!

Sorry for the basic brain numbness.
No need to be apologetic for asking a concrete, real-life question based on your experience.

And speaking of brain-numbness, it makes me think of beer. So Rokket I think you owe me a beer for beating you to the make-up gain thing. I'll expect to collect on that when you're here.

No need to be apologetic for asking a concrete, real-life question based on your experience.

And speaking of brain-numbness, it makes me think of beer. So Rokket I think you owe me a beer for beating you to the make-up gain thing. I'll expect to collect on that when you're here.

Up in microbrewery central? The question isn't whether or not buy a beer; it becomes which one?:D

I think I owe you more than one, we were supposed to get together last time I was there, almost 3 years ago....:o

..And what brings up the low peaks?
..so after you've brought the tops down, whatever make-up gain you add brings everything up..
Now to the other half of the question -threshold, along with attack time decides how deep into the signal you are reaching to affect the middle or lower parts of the signal as well, and attack -how fast (or how long) something has to happen for it to be to be ignored. Typically really fast work (and or higher ratios) get applied to tops, low ratio can be allowed to dig deeper and shrink from there up.

Back