Composer Pro - help!

calle

I record vocals with big dynamics, one second whisper next screaming. Equipment doesnt interest me I just use it, so I bought Composer pro cause thats what people told me I needed.

but i dont know how to set the knobs to get it effective.

-when i scream i want to totally avoid clipping

and

-i want the whispering to be loud so you can hear it perfectly.

what do I do?

Thanx! Calle

bottomline:

Is it possible to set it so its impossible for the sound to get louder than -4db no matter how loud you scream AND not make it sound muffled AND still be able to hear very soft singing?

enlighten me! :)

Yea, it's called a limiter, and the Composer Pro has a pretty good one. You set the limiter to maximum volume level you want your signal to go. Then, when you scream really loud, the limiter's red light will go on, and that stops your signal in it's tracks and doesn't let it get any louder than where you have it set.

The limiter works independently of the compressor. The compressor works to pull the volume down within a certain range. However, sometimes it doesn't react fast enough. It's a lot more flexible than the limiter, and lets the signal have a certain amount of leeway.

Picture a guy walking his dog, heading towards a brick wall. :) The dog starts running fast and kind of gets away from him a bit, so he tightens the leash. The leash is kind of like the compressor, in that it has a certain amount of "give" to it. Suddenly, the dog sees a squirell, and forcefully jerks away from it's owner, only to run in to the brick wall. The brick wall is the limiter. It basically just says, "okay, this is as far as you get, Fido."

chess--thats one of the best (and funniest) answers to the compressor/limiter differences I've ever read! I'm laughin', my friend!

Back