Complimentary EQ

onestu3

I have a few songs on www.soundclick.com/stuandrews I got some reviews from people that said my mix is muddy and I need to spread out the EQ and give the mix some dimension. I did a little research and found something called complimentary eq. I found only a brief example of this but I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys on how to even out my mixes a little bit, and maybe some recording techniques that help boost certain parts of the eq field. Thanks

I just listened to a bit of each (really liked worldwar dinosaur :) ) but I hear exactly whats being said to you..its definitely worse in some than in others..in fact its brutal in My Gun..apart from the drums everything seems like a clump in the middle

Im very much a novice and just learning from the guys here..you're in the same boat as me..you can record and perform but you struggle mixing

Id say for starters you need to give each instrument there own frequency and space..then use different amounts of reverb to give them even more room near and far (try to imagine the instuments and vocals in a 3D semi circle in front of you and place them in different spaces)...drop the bottom end out of most of the instruments and vocals with a high pass and leave the bass to the bass and the kick..

Cant really offer much else as Im so new at it as well...I found "guerilla home recording" a good source of material for the very basics in an instruments frequncy and panning..but its mostly having good ears, which I unfortunately do not have

A few things:

1-some of the tunes have several seconds of silence before the song starts: always a good idea to have no delay...or use the time of a single beat from click to noise...from a view of people who will play and use your music.

2-before I'd attack the EQ, I'd consider the panning. Your routine seems to have the kit left, bass center, guitars right. Out of the box. The snare is sounding left. Groomed ears take some comfort in convention, I think.

3-what is your recording resolution? Try moving up to 24/44.1 or 24/48 if you're not there. My ears tell me it makes a diff even when you're squishing into an mp3 format.

4-There is some buildup in the mids...but that's not what I hear as the first priority: there's something in your routine...compression? mic placement?...robbing your tracks of dynamics and sheen. The sound is two-dimentional....except for the vox.

Wish I could help more. New, too.

Agree with Jeff, get the panning done first.
I'm not a drummer but I think the cymbals shouldn't be too far away. I wonder if they should be center thru the room mic. From what I understand you set up a room mic situation for the cymbal/toms which is centered but which uses both left and right fields thru reverb.
Good luck figuring it. I have trouble with it too.

Last edited:
Back