Complicated Times

Pearldiver

OK, heres my two cents:

Firstly I buy more software than I ought to. I've filled my shelves with boxes of buggy software that has disappointed more often than not. I've probably wasted a 1/4 of what should be my retirement fund of software I no longer use or grew disppointed with ever so quickly.

We live in times where software can't keep up to hardware developments. We also live in year 2002 and by and large only small marginal improvements have been made to the reliability factor of PC environments. I have an old 486 running LINUX that's more reliable than my Windows 2000 Pentium 4 web server, put together custom by an MCSE engineering firm LOL!

So here we are in a new world trying to learn new tasks, with lousy tools. If that isn't bad enough, we are expected to buy colorful paint that glosses these lousy tools we are given to work with, and hope the paint doesnt fall off, chip or fade (the software we load in our PCS) When it does, often there is no warranty and the manufacturers tell us we are using the wrong tool/paint combination and it's not their problem. Out another 600 bone.

Compare learning all these new technological tasks to any prior occupation in mankind... A carpenter for instance, an apprentice bought what tools he could and BORROWED the rest to do the tasks he needed to learn. When he reached journeyman status he bought the tools HE BORROWED and LIKED BEST, and could afford.

A doctor intern BORROWS the use of all technology during school, and buys nothing until he decides open his own practice, in which case he is in business, no longer just a doctor.

In the old days, to learn to record, you learned how to use the analog equipment you could best afford, and learned, BORROWED WHaT YOU COULD FROM THE STUDIO AT NIGHT. Then you went home and worked on your 4 track multitracker to do the best at learning mixology.
If you were lucky ;)

Nowadays, the playing field is not so level. Hundreds of new technologies are emerging. It is confusing where one might go to school, and it is inevitable that the digital equipment you learn on today during that $10,000 course will be deemed slow and archaeic, likely, before you even get your first job in a studio after graduation. Your skill set (the software you learn) will likely be deemed old-school as well, and the new toys for big boys, won't be in your skill set. Fortunately, the techniques will be of asset, the mixing, approach , mic choices etc. Fallacies are wide spread, but changing, digital audio is slower taking over (AT ENORMOUS expensive to the INDUSTRY I might add) Studios are going from 16 bit, to 24 bit, to 32... slowly but surely bandwidth figures are increasing 44.1 to 48, to 96, to 192... slowly but surely digital is taking over analog. At whose expense? Those studios which are trying to keep up, of course... those studios which are MAKING THE MOST MONEY staying on top of their scene. THOSE studios which are changing gear CONSTANTLY honing the age of digital.

Don't get to worried about the little guy who downloads CAKEWALK, loads it up on his piece of crap PC, hooks up a few cheap mic's make some shitty recording, and learns something new OK? If he's serious, he'll purchase all in due time. Just like the carpenters apprentice that learned a real nail puller was worth the cash, instead of using some crappy flat pry bar that wouldnt fit between form walls, the digital apprentice borrowed CAKEWALK for use, to learn something, and went on to purchase something higher end, later... or decided CAKEWALK was meeting his needs, maybe he didnt enjoy forming anyway :)

It's all relative, personally I've tried out a few pirated pieces of software to decide what I like and what I don't. I decided I didnt like the CAKEWALK recording algorythms and I preferred EMAGIC logic, so I bought it, cash. Now I find out EMAGIC gave up on WINDOWS! Oh, they so deserve my cash, don't they? Sure, I know, in reality, yes they do... but if I had never became disappointed in CAKEWALK and tried a boot of EMAGIC, they never would have got my cash in the first place.

It's all relative to learning trade. There is no apprentice that doesnt borrow to learn, period - it does not exist in any form of occupation. Software companies need to get used to this and do what PROTOOLS does, release reasonable high quality demos people can use, but limit them to a smaller amount of tracks, not entirely disable them however, make them capable; but not Hollywood ;)

Anyone who figures any person trying to learn this should go out and pay everything they ever try, and support this expensive move to digital - your dreaming IT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN THAT WAY. Get your brain working within the parameters of REALITY - not DREAMWORLD. You do not live within UTOPIA, the world is not made of cash. Perhaps your parents are riuch or your extremely successful and fortunate, but you are not the NORM! Instead re-calibrate your noodle and lets get the companies releasing USEFUL DEMOS, that we can build resumes with. FIND REAL WORLD SOLUTIONS TO REAL WORLD PROBLEMS, stop taking a fanatical, almost religious look at these problems. God wont save the world from piracy, if he could, the apple would still be hanging from the tree ;)

Thats my two cents.

Back