Completely new to home recording

hurdda80

Hello, I would like an experienced musician's advice on what gear I should buy (everything but the guitar), break it down barney style, cause I am completely new and want to start.. if interested in taking me under your wing.. email me at Go_Blue80@yahoo.com
Thanks

Dean

well mainly just guitar, i dont need anything fancy at all, just cheap stuff. I want to do acoustic, and electric.. thanks

Acoustic and electric gtr are each huge areas. I'd suggest being much more specific.

Gentle acoustic fingerpicking solos?
Jazz electric?
Metal?

Different types of gtr have very different needs.

Last edited:
well mainly just guitar, i dont need anything fancy at all, just cheap stuff. I want to do acoustic, and electric.. thanks

Recording to a computer?

If so, you need a soundcard/interface and a way to get the sound into the computer. If you're just looking for a way to get your ideas down, get a POD or something similar and run direct.

For acoustic, you need either a pickup on the acoustic or a microphone and a preamp, preferrably with a digital output to input into your card.

sorry I'm being so general, I would like a basic setup, that is capable of a wide variety of playing, from metal solo's, to acoustic fingerpicking, that in mind, i dont need anything coming out sounding Professional quality by any means, just a beginner basic setup.

is recording onto a computer the preferred method for my needs? Thank you for your reccomendations, which brands and items would be the best for a beginner and be the most user friendly, thanks again for taking the time to respond

Dean

...i dont need anything coming out sounding Professional quality by any means, just a beginner basic setup....

You seem to repeatedly stress how you don't want good sound.
How about a $5 computer mic into your computer? Or a $5 used
cassette player from the thrift store?

I think you're essentially asking a bunch of gear-a-holics
how to get buy without getting bitten by the gear bug.

Lumpy

You were the "OPERATION" game voice?
Yes. Take out wrenched ankle.

www.LumpyVoice.com

Back