Complete N00b, need some advice

nickd123

OK, so I've always wanted to get into some home recording, but never have taken the initiative, but with the purchase of a new comp, I think I will. I need some advice though on what to purchase to do what I want. As far as what I want to do, here you go:

I want to be able to spend as little money as possible.
I want to be able to do the most I can with what I spend.
I want to be able to record an entire band (minus drums) at once, rather than recording individually.

That's basically it. I know I probably need a mixer and an interface, but I don't know which to get. Here's what I've got so far (minus all music gear).

Intel 20" iMac, 2GHZ, 2GB RAM
Garage Band

So, can y'all help me figure out what to get? If you don't understand what I'm asking, please question me. Thanks.

nickd123

Well, I'm not really setting a budget now. I want to keep my options open. I want to record something above MP3 quality for sure, but I don't need the really high quality stuff. I'm really open to price if it will last and help me make better recordings, but the cheaper the better.

The interface you need depends on how many channels you need to track into the computer at one time. The number of channels going into the interface depends on if you have an outboard mixer. You can do the mixing with the board, or in the computer. So, that's the first thing to decide. If you have an outboard mixer, then you don't need as many channels in the audio interface. Of course you need to buy the board. If you skip the board, then you need an interface with more input channels. The interface is now more expensive, but you don't need to buy the board. Then, there's midi. If you do any of that, then your interface needs midi capability. Then there's S/PDIF inputs... Soooo, you need to give us a bit more information about what your plans are before we can give you good info.

Well, let me see. I am sure that I will be getting the mixer, so that means that I don't have to get an interface with a lot of inputs right?

So what you're saying is that I can plug everything into the mixer and then go direct out from the mixer into the interface. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If there's anything else you need to know please inform me.

yeah. You could go straight from the mixer into the interface. That means you'll be doing most of your mixing in analog[ on your hardware mixer], rather than after it's recorded[ on the computer].

the only problem I see with using a mixer is that basically you are putting all your tracks as a stereo track. That means that afterwards if you want to edit what you do to one track you have to do to all of them. For example if you want to add reverb to the voacl you have to adguitars bass backing vox and everything else. This limits what you can do after you track the perfect take.
This said,you might be better off with an interface with multiple inputs. At least that way you could overdub or edit without the limitations.

Ah. That is a drawback. If I were to use a mixer, what interface would you recommend? Also, if I were to go straight to the interface, what would you recommend? To ask another question, is there a way I can utilize the mixer AFTER recording?

I would prefer someway to record each all instruments at once, but be able to edit each individual track after recording.

Last edited:
jimmycs780 said:
the only problem I see with using a mixer is that basically you are putting all your tracks as a stereo track. That means that afterwards if you want to edit what you do to one track you have to do to all of them. For example if you want to add reverb to the voacl you have to adguitars bass backing vox and everything else. This limits what you can do after you track the perfect take.
This said,you might be better off with an interface with multiple inputs. At least that way you could overdub or edit without the limitations.

That's not true.

something like THIS
will send EACH of its channels to the computer INDIVIDUALLY. That means you can add whatever the hell you want to whatever the hell you want... and ONLY to whatever the hell you want.

Another plus is that you don't need to buy a soundcard. This mixer acts as its own soundcard when plugged into the computer via firewire.

Basically, thats your easiest option. If you were to buy that (or something equal) it would be all you need to do what you said you wanted to do (minus the mics and stuff like that)

Since you say you are in need of recording a band, I suggest something similiar to what I've linked.

As far as software goes, there are some pretty nice free ones out there... Someone else will have to lead you to those though, as I'm not too familiar with them.

Cool. So what would the general term be for a mixer like that? Firewire Mixer? I noticed that Alesis also has a USB MultiMix. Would that work too?

Yeah. Something along those lines. Mackie also makes a good one called the onyx. Those are some of the better ones out for the price.

I have the USB one (16) but it will only send 1 stereo track to the PC. Whereas the firewire versions will send every one of their channels out. I wish I would have known a little more before I bought mine a couple years ago.

And also,
Newbie dude said:
yeah. You could go straight from the mixer into the interface. That means you'll be doing most of your mixing in analog[ on your hardware mixer], rather than after it's recorded[ on the computer].

Thats not true either.

Once you have it on your computer, and in your recording program, you can mix it anyway you want.

What do you personally use? Would the USB work? Also, when looking at mixers, how do I tell that it works like the Onyx or the MultiMix?

nickd123 said:
What do you personally use? Would the USB work? Also, when looking at mixers, how do I tell that it works like the Onyx or the MultiMix?

Look for firewire... Or just read the specs to see how many channels it will send to the PC.

Or look for a normal mixer that has individual channel sends... But if you go that route, you'll have to invest in a new soundcard as well.

My advice would be to check out both of the mixers I've mentioned. The multimix is great for the price, and it will do everything you were looking for. If you dont like it after you buy it, just exchange it for a different one.

OK. Thanks so much for your help. 1 more question: Would it be OK to use a USB MultiMix or would your really recommend the Firewire?

nickd123 said:
OK. Thanks so much for your help. 1 more question: Would it be OK to use a USB MultiMix or would your really recommend the Firewire?

I mean you can use it, but it wont do what you're asking. It will only send 1 track at a time, meaning you would have to record each instrument individually to be able to apply effects on them separately. Also, if you're going to record drums they would all be recorded to 1 track, making it impossible to adjust levels AFTER you've recorded. For example: Lets say you've recorded your drums, and while playing them back you realize the cymbals are way too loud. The only way to fix that would be to re-record.

With the firewire version, each channel will have its own track in your recording program. So if you would've had the firewire in the situation above, all you would do is turn the cymbal track down in the recording software.

Yes, but I have the USB version. I like it a lot, but I wish I would've known a little more before I bought it back then, because I would've bought the firewire instead.

If you plug all of your inputs into a anaolg mixer and come out of a recording out or main out to your interface then to your computer you are commiting all of the tracks unless your interface can handle all the tracks on their own channells. For example your mixer has 8 channels and your interface has 8 channels and you can feed them independently you can not split them after the recording is complete. so you cant redo the lead guitar to another take or add reverb to the vox only. one change would effect everything.
The Onyx mixer is different than a anaolg mixer. It works like a mixer yet feeds all tracks seperatly. Thats what I was trying to say.
depending on your software that will let you know what interface you want to use.
I feel that number of inputs is the most inportant. its easier to record eveything to its own tracks and edit them thatway rather than waste a perfect track because the guitar came out of tune halfway through.
I am a pto tools user and that limits my choices of interface but thats a small price to pay for the industry standard program. I can finish my home projects at the local studio easily. so for me the decision was a no brainer!!!!!!!

Back