Complete beginner wanting to record!

Yes, you can certainly do that - use a stand-alone recorder to track, then move all tracks to the computer for mixing. Make sure the recorder has USB output - you don't want to have to do double A-D-A conversions (and you'd still need an A-D converter!)
As someone who went the stand-alone route at first )my computer at the time was pretty old, and I didn't understand the purpose of an audio interface), I generally advise people to go the computer route these days - any new computer will have the balls to do recording (make sure you've got at least 4G RAM, 6 or 8 is better). Yes, there is a learning curve, but plowing through menus on a stand-alone recorders small screen is a learning experience as well.
The aforementioned Tascam US1800 is just $250 at Sweetwater right now.

Really, thanks for being the new person I've been looking for. The one that actually READ the stickies and understands them. Is trying to get others to use them. You have no idea how far and few between that really is...

LOL,. Thanks Broken. I used dial in BBS's and compuserve was my first ISP if that tells you anything. In most forums I seldom get past the stickies,. if moderated correctly most of the answers are found there. I've been lurking here a couple of years, its a treasure trove of good info.

Back