Comparing pres...

goldie

How would using a M-audio 1814 w/Yamaha MG 12/4 Mixer compare to using a Firepod? Would one set-up sound better than the other?

goldie said:
How would using a M-audio 1814 w/Yamaha MG 12/4 Mixer compare to using a Firepod? Would one set-up sound better than the other?

Don't know how the Jamaha pres compare to the Firepod's, but I definitely like the sound of the FirePod pres over the 1814's, IMHO. Not a huge difference, but the FirePod's sound closer to the nice, open high end of my Peavey PV8 mixer's pres (into the FW1814), while the 1814's built-in pres sounded a little brittle in the highs.

That said, I suspect (but can't say with certainty) that the Yamaha's pres would be at least as comparable to the Firepod's. Thus, I'm not sure how much difference it will make one way or the other in the grand scheme of things.

I've owned both the 12/4 and the firepod. I prefer the firepod pres because they stay transparent when you wind them up, unlike the MG's pres which develop a harsh shrillness from about 2 oclock

Ì`ve heard all of them in action, and the Firepod was my pick.
pretty clean sounding, and decent pre`s.

I`ve been the owner of a Firepod for 1 year now, and its probbably one of my best purchases.
If I only had the same luck with cars :D

Bulls Hit said:
I've owned both the 12/4 and the firepod. I prefer the firepod pres because they stay transparent when you wind them up, unlike the MG's pres which develop a harsh shrillness from about 2 oclock

What do you mean by harsh shrillness?

I'm leaning towards ProTools and would like the Yamaha/1814 setup, but if the quality that much different I would look at different options.

Thanks for everyone's help!

I was recently comparing the MG series with the Soundcraft Compact for a friend, and man does the Compact blow away the MG specwise....

THD: Yamaha - < .1%
Soundcraft - < .007%

Freq Resp: Yamaha - -3 to +1dB 20-20Khz
Soundcraft - +/- .5dB 20-20Khz

Crosstalk: Yamaha - -70dB
Soundcraft - >80dB

Headphone: Yamaha - nominal 30mW, 75mW before clip
Output Soundcraft - 300mW (x2)

My AKG 240DFs, which I love to death, have a high impedance that requires a strong headphone amp to drive. The Yamaha is pretty wimpy in this regard, and I LOVE the fact that the Soundcraft has 2 headphone outs, with a blend control for how much of your record signal, and how much playback signal goes to phones......very cool. I usually have to go to the soundcard mixer applet to adjust that.

I know there's a lot of folks that are happy with the MG series, and for a general purpose mixer it's a better bet, but for a DAW front end and monitoring mini-desk, I think the Soundcraft Compact 10 is really an innovative approach.

Robert D said:
I was recently comparing the MG series with the Soundcraft Compact for a friend, and man does the Compact blow away the MG specwise....

If all you're looking at are specs, the Peavey PV8 eats them both alive (except for the dual headphone jacks). :)

THD: Yamaha - < .1%
Soundcraft - < .007%
Peavey - < .0007%

Freq Resp: Yamaha - -3 to +1dB 20-20Khz
Soundcraft - +/- .5dB 20-20Khz
Peavey - +0/-1 dB 14-25kHz

Crosstalk: Yamaha - -70dB
Soundcraft - >80dB
Peavey - >80dB

Headphone: Yamaha - nominal 30mW, 75mW before clip
Output Soundcraft - 300mW (x2)
Peavey - no idea