Comments?

I just recorded and mixed this newest song for a few kids that are just getting started in recording. I just recently helped them get setup on their software and recording, so some of their efforts are up there as well. I mixed the song Forgiveness but it seems to me to sound a bit weak only when heard at lower volume levels but it really rocks when turned up...which is how they want it to be heard so...you tell me. What are you missing?

Tell me what you think (the song is called Forgiveness):
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/thoughtmusic.htm

Oh crap, I forgot the vocals were still off in a few places. Crazy how you can get so wrapped up in the micro-technicals of mixing that you blatantly forget to focus the obviously horrible stuff. I'm having the singer re-track his parts right now as I write this so hopefully we'll get a nother version that's less "Sid Vicious" sounding....so I already know about some of the flat notes he's hitting.

Those guitars are mixed way to far away and are too much muffled to sound good even for this kind of music.

The drums have to get down a whole lot, and could you maybe use some other samples still for this? Especially for that cymbal-thing and a more ´clicky´ kick would work out nice.
The cymbal sounds like the sample is tuned down a whole lot.

one thing I don´t understand: how can this drumcomputer be so off the beat sometimes? or is it triggered?

Nice metallica-like thingy in the middle, but please let them first tune their guitars.. The whole song does not sound special in any way to me by the way.

Are there PODs used here?

The vocals sound decent. Nice effect in the end.
Later in the song I hear more balance.
Overal pretty good job!

one thing I don´t understand: how can this drumcomputer be so off the beat sometimes? or is it triggered?

Sequencis interruptus?

Seriously, if the computer is not optimized for use as an audio workstation, a sequencer can drag and rush sometimes.

Hey thanks all a million for taking your time for the listen and the comments.

I (tried to) play the drums on this. No samples or sequencing probs..just pure human err. '67 Ludwigs with a 24" bass (some of the warmest drums I've recorded thusfar), hence all the over-volumed and blaring inconsistencies you're hearing....and you subtley pegged me, it's a "heavy on the drums" mix...but no complaints from the band although I asked them repeatedly and they kept telling me to turn 'em up....

An extra drum phrase was pasted near the last of the middle guitar solo part and it may be a tad off now that you mention that and I'll recheck it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry it doesn't strike you much but it's been infecting my brain with those damn winding guitar solo runs...they get me everytime. Oh and who's metallica? lol

POD was not used here although I wish it were. I have one but they didn't use it the day they recorded at their house....they record the guitars then bring the mixed down parts to me and I mix drums to it and attempt to mix the stuff down the rest of the way competitively (their mix vs. my mix)...so it's all a scattered process with multiple mixes contantly going on all the time lately.

I like checking with my fellow recording enthusiasts/pros before I proceed with choice mixes....and thanks for shooting it to me straight regardless of if you personally like it or not.

Yeah, vocals need work, but you know that. Drums are too high. I know this genre, espeically Metallica, puts their drums pretty high in the mix, but the drums are noticeably overpowering other parts of the song, namely the guitar.

I agree with others, the guitars are pretty far away and distant sounding. This might also contribute to the drums overpowering them. They could use a little more presence and probably volume. I also agree that the guitars at the solo break are a little off tune. Theres no possibility of convincing the guitarists to record with you where you are recording? I think even a direct in with a POD could acheive a much better sound than the current one. Y ou would probably get a much more cohesive sound if everyone was recording to the same mix and with the whole band present.

I like that acoustic switch at the end but I think the transition could be a smoother.

Back