Comments please

Hemluth

Hi

I would like to know what you think of a production I've made. I've been trying to make the song very very dynamic. I use almost no compression nor limiting. The song is a Swedish 18th century song. The arrangements are pretty simple.

Some people have told me that the volume is changing too much. Others say it changes too little. Some say the vocals are too far back. Others sa that they are too loud. I'm a bit confused

http://www.box.net/shared/1mss4th30u

EDIT: NEW LINK: http://www.box.net/shared/1c6km9uv01

Thanks

Last edited:
The vocals are a little inconsistent dynamically, the beginnings and ends of a lot of phrases are getting buried; at least during the softer phrases.

The overall dynamic flow of the song is good.

The lyrics are really hard to follow. "Oak-fisted for choking gnats" What? :D

The vocals are a little inconsistent dynamically, the beginnings and ends of a lot of phrases are getting buried; at least during the softer phrases.

The overall dynamic flow of the song is good.

The lyrics are really hard to follow. "Oak-fisted for choking gnats" What? :D

Hmm.. I think a compressor with some msecs of attack time would do the trick to bring up at least consonants of the phrases. I will try that out.

The lyrics are in 18th century Swedish. But I like your interpretation of them as well. ;)

intersting. I'm still listening to the non compressed version. At the beginning they do get buried a little. Maybe some automation instead of compression? Once it comes out of that quiet intro though, I think the dynamics sound right.

The arrangement sounds good. the heavy reverb I think sits just right for the song.

what did you use for the orchestra? The solo cello sounds good.

The piano and cello are from EastWest Quantum Leap. The flute is something that came with Kontakt 3. I think they sound pretty good when you learn how to switch between the different tone samples. I takes some serious time though.

Was the compressed version better or worse than the non-compressed?

Thanks a lot for commenting.

man, you may have just converted me to not thinking that opera stuff is lame. I normally can't stand opera, but after hearing this, I'm having second thoughts.

at the beginning, there are a couple pitchy notes. Throught the middle, it's pretty solid, and then on the last note, there is a pitch hiccup.

oh, and yeah, I feel like the compression version is better. I never heard any compression, which is good, just didn't seem so buried at the beginning.

Thank you.

I usually reduce frequences around 2khz on the compression track. The 2khz area is usually the one that first sounds weird with compression. This way, the lower and upper overtones as well as consonants get a boost but the meaty core remains the same.

man, you may have just converted me to not thinking that opera stuff is lame. I normally can't stand opera, but after hearing this, I'm having second thoughts.

at the beginning, there are a couple pitchy notes. Throught the middle, it's pretty solid, and then on the last note, there is a pitch hiccup.

I'm not really all that much into pure opera. I like vibrato though..

Hmm, could you specify wich notes sounding pitchy? I know there are a couple of notes appearing a bit off, but (at least according to melodyne) that is actually some sort of overtone change thing. I also know that I slide a lot on some notes all around the song, but that is not what you mean?

Once again, thanks for taking time.

Back