Commandments of R&B drumming book and vids.....

BigLex

Has anyone seen/read/used these videos and book? A salesman at Guitar center recommended the book.. I'd probably go for the DVD (has all 3 videos on it) first, I can get it online for $30 including shipping, and the book for $20 with shipping.... but the book also comes with a cd, and from what I've read about it its worth it alone for that and drummer/album/song recommendations to check out.

Are they worth the $?

Zoro did a clinic out here a year or two ago. I really dig his stuff, he is a veteran, and survived the drum machine era, as a working drummer by being able to play the stuff live, that people were sequencing (huge props for that).

I've got the Hip Hop Era video, and it's pretty cool. I thumbed through the book it seems like it is a little more focused on being a documentary on the history and the originators of certain feels, and roots of some of the rythms, but it's got some exercises too. I plan to get the Funk video at some point.

He's got some pretty killer licks live, but he really emphizes playing the groove, and being in the right place on the beat as the main focus (important stuff).

I'd say there is something in the series for everyone. If you are looking for fancy stuff, this is probably not what you want, but if you want more insight on different feels and grooves of the styles he covers, you'll definitly get something from him.

I've seen parts of all of Zoro's videos. He focuses on meat and potato grooves. He has technique, but the videos focus primarily on the groove. Anyone who wants to learn and understand groove drumming could benefit from any of Zoro's videos.

I had the pleasure of talking to him for a while (I worked at a store where he was giving a clinic). The thing that impresses me about Zoro is his reverence for the roots of the music. He can play a well know Motown groove and then explain who played the groove. Zoro really appreciates the history behind the grooves he plays. He is part drummer, part teacher and part historian.

Went to a clinic and master class here in town a couple months ago. Really knows his stuff. Great DVD too. Won an Evans EMAD kick head. Cool head, built-in muffling sounds ok, but the pedal feel gets really sloppy, lots of vibration. I am back to using a pillow, for what it is worth.

He demo'd most of the grooves in the video series, and left it wide open for questions. He also played a concert with a local very talented high school jazz band. They rocked! He brought out the best of their playing, while showing off some too. He is a classy musician, IMHO.

Back