"Come and Get Them"--Epic Orchestral Piece

Man aural, that sounds fantastic. I really like the piece. Excellent arrangement and sound imo. I would say it's at broadcast quality. Sounds pro to me.
Welcome to the site by the way (I see you're a new member)

Was this done with a real orchestra? If not, that is one fine VST plug in (and probably very expensive).

Depending on the intent, you could bring the lows a little heaver to give it some thumb. People really like to hear their subs in movies ;).

Nice piece.

Was this done with a real orchestra? If not, that is one fine VST plug in (and probably very expensive).

Depending on the intent, you could bring the lows a little heaver to give it some thumb. People really like to hear their subs in movies ;).

Nice piece.

Wow, thanks man really appreciate the kind words. Yeah, with TV mixes you have to be a bit more conservative with bass (unfortunately--I've got some pretty serious Waves Rbass going on in the bass section when I write for film :thumbs up:). The first time I ever wrote for TV I got an e-mail from the composer I was working under saying, in no uncertain terms, "less bass!" lol...

And yeah, it's all VST's except the oboe. I used to be a full time session player (sax, oboe, irish whistle primarily) and then found out I could make more money from my bedroom. Quite honestly, the VST market has gotten so competitive you can get everything I used in this piece for around $4000, which isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Granted, you'll need a machine that costs about that much to run them, but still...alot cheaper than hiring out an orchestra every time.

Now what is "expensive" is the amount of time you have to put into editing the MIDI stuff; there are anywhere from 3-4 layers of expression data (e.g. vibrato, expression--which is a combination of volume and tambre, simulating the strength with which a string player is pressing down on the strings--milliseconds between legato note transitions, etc.) that contribute to the realism. East West's stuff--which is about 70% of what I use, the rest being a combination of 8dio and Native Instruments libraries--gives you almost too many options with the articulations and expression data layers, but it's really worth it to learn it.

East West puts out GREAT stuff, and I'm a big fan of their PLAY interface, although it is a RAM hog. This session was using about 29 GB :eek:

Man aural, that sounds fantastic. I really like the piece. Excellent arrangement and sound imo. I would say it's at broadcast quality. Sounds pro to me.
Welcome to the site by the way (I see you're a new member)

Thanks! I've actually lurked here for a while. Mixing and mastering is a tough game to play, and the best info I've ever gotten has been from Youtube and forums :listeningmusic:

wat

What kind of PC are you using?

Ah...no PC's here mate ;-)

Using a 27" 2013 iMac with multiple outboard SSD's to stream the samples from. Even then, I'm going to have to get the Mac Pro; this machine is pretty killer but the processor--the fastest one they'll put in an iMac--has a hard time keeping up. Hard drive bandwidth/read speed isn't an issue with SSD. Really I'm maxing out my CPU before I max out either my RAM or HD at this point. With this project, I had to start freezing tracks by the end (unfortunately--that's a huge time sink in my workflow, which involves CONSTANTLY editing MIDI data).

Wow! That's just wonderful. I love your use of discordance and the way you use your motifs to transition from one section to the next. I'd give my right arm to compose and orchestrate 1/10th as well as you do. Which orchestral sample set are you using, or do you mix and match? And which choral samples?

I'm really looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Wow! That's just wonderful. I love your use of discordance and the way you use your motifs to transition from one section to the next. I'd give my right arm to compose and orchestrate 1/10th as well as you do. Which orchestral sample set are you using, or do you mix and match? And which choral samples?

I'm really looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Thanks for the kind words, and quite honestly, I have no training in this stuff. Anyone can do it with enough practice (and some modicum of musicial talent of course). I'll admit to having classical training on my instruments as well as music theory in general, but NONE at all with composing, which is really a different animal.

As for my samples, I'm using only a combination of East West's "Complete Composer Collection 2 Pro"--that included Hollywood Strings, Brass, and Woodwinds (all diamond edition), Symphonic Orchestra, Solo Violin, Spaces, and Symphonic Choirs for around $1500, an absolutely killer bargain--and Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 9. Some of the percussion is also from 8dio, just a cheapo little library called "Epic Frame Drum" and "Epic Small Percussion" that I picked up for around $100 on sale for both.

Most of the orchestral elements (all of the melodic ones) are the Hollywood series instruments. The percussion is a combo of KU9 and the 8dio stuff.

Last edited:
:confused: Not sure I quite understand...

Of course you do. $4000 plugins? Umptymillion gigabyte processing? You're just showing off and advertising a fully professional product on a site dedicated to amateurs of meagre means exercising their hobby. GTFO of my face.

Of course you do. $4000 plugins? Umptymillion gigabyte processing? You're just showing off and advertising a fully professional product on a site dedicated to amateurs of meagre means exercising their hobby. GTFO of my face.

Whoa, that one came out of left field! For the record, you wanna know how I got to where I am (wherever that is--I'm a nobody)? Forums *just* *like* *this*. I started composing and mixing/mastering last year around July and learned through this site, Gearslutz, and the East West forums. I posted my stuff in various places and got very constructive feedback. I learned through many painstaking hours of making crap, and being told it was crap and how to make it not sound like crap. Many of my mixing techniques (as well as gear purchases) came from, yeah, you guessed it, stuff I learned on THIS site in the VERY recent past, so I have no idea why you're crapping on me.

If I am *anything* at all it is an amateur of meagre means; I live in a basement in a house with 4 other dudes, have a couple low budget mics, an interface, and a computer with some plugins. I paid off my "studio" in January as an adjunct philosophy teacher at a local university. I'm not Hans Zimmer or anything remotely close.

And there are plenty of people here who have spent waaaaaay more on their studios than I have. So let's calm down and enjoy a meaningful conversation :guitar:

I understand where you're coming from but just because somebody has a much larger budget doesn't make it not home recording. I'd assume that many people here have gear that is worth a dozen times what mine is. I've looked at some of the pictures in the "Show us your studio!" thread and a lot of them borderlined on professional studios, yet they still come here.

My studio is the end of a tractor shed/pole barn that I built to park my tractor under. I tore down an old barn to get the posts and tin and lumber to build it with for free.
My recording space is 18' X 14' I have a 6' X 8' isolation room made out of pallets and 2 sliding glass doors (double glass window). The drums are in that little room. Great isolation and great tones there.
The ceiling is made from cardboard watermelon bins I got for free. The walls are sheet rock, the floor is oak boards covered with indoor/ourdoor tile that walmart threw away when they remodeled.
I would get laughed clean out if the studio building forum if I ever posted pictures.
But, it's functional and with what I have learned on this sight I am starting to get some decent recordings lately.
The best part about my studio is that it's 200 feet from my house and I can't get cell phone reception in there.
The wife won't walk over there and can't call me.
No disturbances or listening to bitching when I record!
Also, I'm way out in the country...I can crank a 100 watt Marshall wide open if I want.

Last edited:
This sounds awesome.. you could probably take the "pro" accusations as a good indicator your creations are at a very high level. It sounds like (from your OP) you are a professional at this.. so maybe pop in and help out some others along their way :)

I loved this piece.. cannot critique.. I was immdiately immersed and just swept along for the ride

just added up my stuff (that is currently in use).. and believe me.. im a home recorder.. I have a little corner in the unfinished basement
new pc $800
pod HD $400
AT headphones $50
Mackie monitors and sub $550
Maudio Fast Track Pro $200
couple Agile guitars $1600
Superior drummer + couple expansions $550
Prominy Bass $150
Evolve $220
Reaper $60

various plugins from discount sites

Midi library - $80