Coheed cover

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
I'm not quite done tracking yet, but it will be a while before I can get anymore done. I just wanted a few opinions on the current state of the song. Nothing is mixed yet, these are the raw sound files. It still needs vocals and the lead guitar, plus a few overdubs in some areas.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=4853

I think the guitar sounds muffled quite a bit. Is there anything that can be done other than retracking, because I kind of like how it feels right now, I'm afraid I'll lose that if I retrack the guitars.

Well id say the levels so far are class without the mixing but obviosiouly Id need to hear the track with the vocals and lead guitar in so properly comment on it ..but sounding rather good m8.

Vocals aren't going to be there for a while (I can't really sing, so there will be many takes and retakes, etc.). But I'll upload the instrumental as soon as it's done. I'm thinking a palm muted clean guitar on the outro will help keep the forward motion. There are parts of the lead guitar that I think I'm going to dub with a saxophone. I'll keep ya guys posted. Thanks for the comment!

Heh, yea. EZ Drummer, which uses the drumkit from hell sample library (at least a portion of it). I still need to fix some HH patterns and adjust their level (I think they're a bit too high right now).

IronFlippy said:
Heh, yea. EZ Drummer, which uses the drumkit from hell sample library (at least a portion of it). I still need to fix some HH patterns and adjust their level (I think they're a bit too high right now).
Possibly change every other highhat to a differnt sample or just copy the sample your using, and slightly adjust the EQ. The only thing that sound like a drum machine is the highhat

The highhat makes me want to kill myself, i find it really annoying.

Other than that its not bad.

I think once you get vocals in it was sound a lot better.

I'm not going to attempt to sound like Claudio, there's no point in me trying. I'll probably take some parts down an octave to be able to properly sing them, etc.

I'm working on those high hats. I had the drum track all set up for ns_kit free, and when I got EZ Drummer, I didn't change anything. They're sounding a lot better. I'm also trying to fix some of the crash sounds on the more intense parts of the song, as they sound synthetic as well.

What do you think of the guitar tone? Ignore the bass at the moment, it's going to be retracked because I did a terrible job the first time around.

Now that I think about it, I probably should have waited until things were fixed up a bit more before I posted here. But I suppose your critiques on the current state of the song aren't hurting. Thanks again!

the guitar seems to be recorded well, but they seem very plain and maybe a little too crunchy.

but i think once vocals are in even if they arent great you wont really notice that as much.

To get rid of the muffled sound in the guitars cut a good chunk out of the lo mids, this might make it sound thin to you but in with the bass and the rest of the tracks it shouldnt sound thin if done right.
I think you could get a decent mix out of these tracks.

Eck

Coheed is from my hometown baby shout out woohoo. I saw claudio in barns and noble the other day.

Anyway its pretty solid you have good rhythem guitars but the drums sound too drum machine like I think in this one. Usally ezdrummer can come out with some pretty realistic stuff but theres something about these drums.

DAS19 said:
Coheed is from my hometown baby shout out woohoo. I saw claudio in barns and noble the other day.

Anyway its pretty solid you have good rhythem guitars but the drums sound too drum machine like I think in this one. Usally ezdrummer can come out with some pretty realistic stuff but theres something about these drums.
It's because I'm using a MIDI file for ns_kit7 Free :p . I'm in the process of changing it to something a bit more, uh, useable.

ecktronic: That's what I was thinking. The bass seemed to be clashing with the guitars.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!

I've spent a long time trying to emulate the guitar tone for this song. Taking out the lo-mids sounds like a good start. Let me know what the hell you've done when you finally get it. Maybe you just need a dragonfly tatoo and a Sideshow Bob hairdo.

Edit: I think the crazy guitar breakdown at the halfway point (you know, the impossible one where Claudio just grows 40 fingers and dances with them on the fretboard) needs more palm muting.

This isn't going to be a dead on cover of the song. I've already made some changes to it (including that crazy bridge thing) and i plan on making a few more (especially during the outro).

Sorry, for the delay, I just had to move my stuff from my house into my dorm. I will resume progress on the song during the week as i set up my audio equipment and get other things done.

Back