Cloudlifter Not Working with SM81

JT_Music

For context, I tried plugging an SM81 into a Cloudlifter and didn't know why it wasn't working. I was under the illusion that the Cloudlifter was a magical box that made any mic work...

Last edited:
The phantom goes as far as the cloud lifter - but these are usually used to get quiet dynamic mics up in level so there is NO phantom power on their input. Unplug the cloud lifter, swap it for the SM81 and it will work - you don't need a cloud lifter with a condenser mic - they're always higher output mics and don't need it!

The SM7B is a very deaf mic - so you need the extra gain for anything other than close work - so leave that connected to the SM7B and forget it for the 81.

Members can't delete threads. Only mods can. Generally speaking, threads won't get deleted. Even if they are no longer imortant to the OP, sometimes the information is useful to those who follow after.

In this case - it's helpful, because those cloudlifters are quite common, so confirmation they don't pass phantom will help people in the future.

I've changed the title back. Honestly, I felt so embarrassed I hoped this thread would disappear into the depths of this forum, never to be seen again.

Thank you both for your very professional responses. I was expecting to be given either a very patronising lesson in how microphones work or to just get laughed at, so thank you.

I think the most common question is my new condenser large diaphragm mic sounds thin and really cheap - and somebody ask this question. "are you sure you're not singing into the back of the mic" - nobody ever puts front and back on a mic, and the usual rule that says you sing into the side with the makers name or logo is never written down!

Have fun. R

Back