Closet for booth

No idea - what does it sound like? The picture shows lots of things, but stick a mic in the holder and let us have a clip of you speaking - that's able to be assessed. It looks a little claustrophobic and hot.

Maybe I'm not pro enough, but I can't understand why we see a lot of people wanting vocal booths. I record in the same room I track in and seems like it works fine. Room is rather dead, but I thought that is why we have reverb and delay.

As far as noise, I either get everything turned off in the room that I can or use a noise gate. I guess I am not so good I need that kind of quality. But sound booths are a mystery unless you are recording a whole band and you are isolating vocals and drums from the bleed.

Could be I am missing something.

I think part of the reason for wanting a vocal booth is inexperienced singers/rappers who don't want everyone in their house hearing them when they do their thing - combined with isolating the mic from the noise in the rest of the house.

People want a "vocal booth" because they think that's what they're supposed to do.

Never mind that real vocal booths are often as big as a bedroom.

If the booth is completely dead then the size doesn't matter. But is it completely dead? Your ears are not going to tell you. All that foam in there will stop the mid and higher freqs but will have little affect on the mid-lows and low freqs. Your ears are attuned to the higher freqs, so it sounds dead, but the troublesome spots will be like 300hz - 700hz for a booth that size, so a vocal track can sound muddy.

Maybe you can EQ out the mud, but a good vocal take is one that sounds good at the mic, not the mixing board and the mic is going to hear something different than you are. If the booth doesn't sound good, then the vocal take isn't going to sound good. Common wisdom is to have a large room with a lively, "designed" sound to it.

But hey, we're home recording type people, we have to make do with what we got. Try it. If you like what you hear then you're good to go.

If the booth is completely dead then the size doesn't matter. But is it completely dead? Your ears are not going to tell you. All that foam in there will stop the mid and higher freqs but will have little affect on the mid-lows and low freqs. Your ears are attuned to the higher freqs, so it sounds dead, but the troublesome spots will be like 300hz - 700hz for a booth that size, so a vocal track can sound muddy.

Maybe you can EQ out the mud, but a good vocal take is one that sounds good at the mic, not the mixing board and the mic is going to hear something different than you are. If the booth doesn't sound good, then the vocal take isn't going to sound good. Common wisdom is to have a large room with a lively, "designed" sound to it.

But hey, we're home recording type people, we have to make do with what we got. Try it. If you like what you hear then you're good to go.

https://soundcloud.com/userroscoe/let-me-hear-you-say here audio of the vocals

I listened to the clip and it sounded fine to me. The guy rapping actually has a good voice and it sounded believable to me (most of the amateur home rap stuff sounds more like someone talking over a backing track).

If you are happy with the result then go with it. I think it's going to bring you more trouble than it's worth in the long run, but I've been wrong before.. Hell I'm wrong all the time.

Back