Clips Vs Stands!!!

SillySillyStacy

I was wondering what most use for their mics when recording?
I have seen some clips called DM50, but did a search of this site and nothing came up.
Has anyone ever used these clips or others on their toms or snares when recording? Or do most us mic stands with booms?
I could imagine vibration being an issue.

Thanks

I only use stands for recording. Clips are useful for live sound reinforcement, but as you indicated, noise from vibrations etc. can be a concern in recording.

Preferably you should use all boom stands. Heck, I should too, but I don't!

I've been using mic clips from Onstage stands. They work pretty well, too. I only use them on my toms, though. They're plastic so they don't transmit vibration from the drum and they are suprisingly sturdy. Cheap, too!

For the snare I use an LP Claw. Kick I use a Tama short mic stand, and boom stands for overheads live. In our studio I have a mic flang bolted to the ceiling with a gooseneck and twin mic adapter for overheads.

I have several indentured dwarves who are made to hold my mics in place. If they move or create too much handling noise, I cut their fingers off and make them hold the mic between their buttcheeks underneath the snare.

Last edited:
If close mic'ing the kit, I use LP claws, but I modified them.

You can buy "mini" mousepads that are half the thickness of a regular mousepad.... I got one of those and cut it into pieces that would fit inside the "jaws" of the claw, and then glued them to each side.
That made sure no vibrations were being transferred through the claws, and eliminated any rattles from having them on the drum rims.

Tim

Back