Clipping

EdWonbass

pull the goalie
I have been concerned with clipping lately. I don't actually hear it and my clip lights don't light up but I wonder if it can still be happening.
I guess I am worried because it seems so common. When I record I make sure the clip light on my Firebox isn't lighting and the input clip lights in the software are not lighting and I'm not clipping on the way out.
I am using Cubase recording at 24 bit.

ive got my signal running through a cheap mixer and its pretty surprising how far off the clipping light is. two green, yellow, then red clip light. it clips around when the second green light comes on. but my cubase seems to pick it up nicely, just gotta make sure i leave a bit more head room then i think i will need. oh and i didnt really understand wat u were asking :)

I track at really conservative levels (average around -12dbs) which I reckon you can afford to do if you're recording at 24 bit. I used to record as close to the wire as possible in order to maximise volume and to make the most of all the 'bits' (I now understand this to be flawed thinking). I did a lot of retracking back then with all the overs. :o

It's nice to have plenty of headroom and never be in any danger of clipping the converters and the overall sound quality doesn't seem to suffer at all tracking at more sensible levels.

Back