Clipping question..

presto5

I recorded a guitar track and its fine until I bring up the parametric EQ in multitrack view. Any tips on what to do about it? Or clipping in general..Thanks:D

One of two things is happening:

1. you recorded too hot and don't have enough headroom left to do any EQ'ing

2. you are adding way too much EQ

Either way, you need to turn the signal down before it gets to the EQ. I don't have CEP, so I'm not exactly sure how to go about it, but there must be a way to turn down the signal at the audio event or a trim control on the channel.

In the future, you want to record all your tracks so they average around -18dbfs (about half way up the meter if the meters aren't numbered). That will leave you enough headroom to do just about anything you need to in the mix without it clipping.

You might also be mixing with your tracks too loud. You should never bring any track above 0.0dB. Is it possible to turn your tracks down so they don't clip? If you need to go louder than 0.0dB you can use compression.

One of two things is happening:

1. you recorded too hot and don't have enough headroom left to do any EQ'ing

2. you are adding way too much EQ

Either way, you need to turn the signal down before it gets to the EQ. I don't have CEP, so I'm not exactly sure how to go about it, but there must be a way to turn down the signal at the audio event or a trim control on the channel.

In the future, you want to record all your tracks so they average around -18dbfs (about half way up the meter if the meters aren't numbered). That will leave you enough headroom to do just about anything you need to in the mix without it clipping.

Awesome!! Thanks!!:drunk::D

You might also be mixing with your tracks too loud. You should never bring any track above 0.0dB. Is it possible to turn your tracks down so they don't clip? If you need to go louder than 0.0dB you can use compression.

Thanks guys these forums rule!:drunk::D

Back