clipping question

peritus said:
I agree with the premise of preamps being strained to amplify a signal to unity gain... I don't understand why it would strain a converter to convert signals at unity gain..Can you help me understand?

Thanks!

In an attempt to answer my own question:

When recording at levels exceeding -12 dbFS, the signal comes close enough to 0 dbfs to cause clipping (even if it is minor)...

Reference:

"this is a result of defining clipping
with the usual digital "maxed-out ADC" definition, as consecutive
samples at the upper or lower limit. Under 'normal' circumstances (an
otherwise-unprocessed track that got "normalized" but with the level a
little too hot) that would be a fine definition. "

One quickie question... What should be my target dbFS value be for a project that is mastering-house-bound and one that is to be put on an audio cd?

Here is something else to chew on:
0dbfs is as high as you can go. The difference between a file that reaches 0dbfs and one that 'clips' is how many consecutive samples hit full scale in a row. Each program (or piece of hardware) is calabrated differently. Some need just 3 full scale samples to trip the red light, some need much more.

To answer your question, there is no real target for mixes. Just make it sound good. The other thing is that a digital meter is a peak meter. A peak meter doesn't give you a good idea of the volume of a mix. (a VU meter does)

My mixes tend to peak around -6 and have an rms level of around -15 to -20db. This varies wildly depending on the type of music.

Farview said:
My mixes tend to peak around -6 and have an rms level of around -15 to -20db. This varies wildly depending on the type of music.
And as one who has mastered several of Farview's projects, I can attest that his mixes have more volume *potential* than a large percentage of what comes in here.

Why? He concentrates ON THE SOUND. Not the levels of the sound. I've worked with him before, he consistently leaves a good amount of headroom at every single stage of production - and it pays off big in the end.

This isn't anything new - This is how it's been done "downtown" for a long, long time...

Massive Master said:
He concentrates ON THE SOUND. Not the levels of the sound.

Is this the proverbial hint that I am to take?

I won't be upset if it is.. Just curious if you want me to lay off...

Can't say thanks enough...

-Joshua

Edit: Adding... not subtracting or changing really..

Massive Master said:
Take it as you will. It isn't illegal to record too hot, not too low.

Okay... Thanks for your time (and that goes to everyone who helped me in this thread)...

bennychico11 said:
yes, this is what is referred to as a meter's ballistics. It's the reaction time of a needle responding to the signal. Peak meters react much quicker than VU meters do. I think somewhere around 300ms is a typical VU's response.

Peak meters are misleading. The average level of the track is what you perceive as loudness.

This suggests that there should be a comparable plug-in, correct?

Thanks

Visual indicators would be the meter will be in the red. Audible indicators would be distorted sound, etc. As far as I know anyway.

riznich said:
this is probably really dumb, so i put it in newbies.. anyways, i record into adobe audition 1.5 . i'll get the levels are right so when i record they're not clipping, but pretty loud and maxed out... then i'll add some compression and reverb with audition, which will raise the wave forms so that they are now over the clipping mark and hitting the red over 0 db area.... my question is, are they really clipping now even though i recorded them not clipping? like, will this make them sound worse? also i notice when i import otherwise good audio tracks, that they seem to be clipping according to audition (going into the red over the 0 db mark)

They aren't clipping (as you didn't record them "in the red").
Nothing to worry about....either turn down the master volume a bit or turn each individual track down slightly.

Back