Clipping/crackling/popping. Possible latency issue?

Omniscient

I looked for an answer in the microphone thread but everyone said it's most likely not a problem with my microphone setup. I get a constant noise which can be described as up above. Someone said it could be my latency is too low. It's set at 512. I upped it to 768 and even tried lowering it to 312 for the hell of it. I still get the popping. Could it be my codec sampling? That's set to 44,100hz. The last thing I could possibly check is my cables. I tried two different mics and I still get the noise. And I also tried using a 3/4" to xlr cable and still got the noise. This is with a M-audio 2496 card by the way.

You can try increasing your buffer size, which will increase latency, but better to have slightly more latency and clean recordings. A prime suspect for this kind of thing is IRQ conflicts. Read up on how to check your IRQ assignments and look for your sound card sharing an IRQ with something else.

-RD

I got a new XLR cable and the noise is still there. It's either gotta be in my card or my 3/4" to RCA cables.

This is my settings

Patchbay/Router
H/W out 1/2: WavOut 1/2
H/W out 1/2 S/PDIF: WavOut 1/2

Master Clock: Internal Xtal

Multitrack Driver Devices: Single and In-Sync

Codec Sample Rate: 44,100

512 Latency

Asio/Easi Options
Disable application use of audio monitor mixer and patchbay router. ***This box is checked...so I dunno if this has anything to do with the ASIO drivers. I can't find any on the driver CD.

You need to provide more information; what program are you using? What driver is your software set to use? (in the program under audio/sound options/devices?)

Computers have many different drivers that it may use for audio products and/or motherboard components.

My main program is Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer Ed.

Playback timing master: C-Media Wave Device 1/2
Record timing master: M-Audio Delta AP Multichannel 1/2
Audio driver bit depth: 16bit
Stereo paning law: 0DB Center sin/cos taper constant power
Sampling rate: 44,100 File bit depth: 16
Buffers in playback queue: 2
Buffer size: The slide bar is set all the way to safe
I/O buffer size in kb: 128
Driver mode: Was in WDX but I just changed it to ASIO so it might clear up now
Dithering: Pow-r 3

Now that I switched the drivers to ASIO it got rid of the C-Media options. Now the playback is comming from the M-Audio card. I have that hooked up to the monitor IN's but nothing is comming from the monitors.

Last edited:
OK .... your on the right path! Using ASIO mode for the drivers within the program is the way to go.

You might have to route the audio using the software mixer within SONAR or ensure that the correct monitor setup is configured.

You're close.

I believe your problem was having the on-board C-media chip as a timing master. As it has no ASIO support, it dissapeared once Sonar was using ASIO and the program was forced to use the Audiophile as the masters. The timing masters for playback and recording has to be channels in the interface (soundcard) you are using for those jobs.

Back