Clicks and Pops! Something's Horribly Wrong!

firetech

I have a rather new (2004) M-Audio Delta 44 PCI interface that has been GREAT for using with my little home recording setup.

However, almost out of nowhere, its sound quality has suddenly spiraled into a scratchy, distorted, warbley ickyness. I've narrowed it down and it is most certainly the interface but I'm not sure what could be causing it to do this.

I recorded something really quickly and encoded it as an MP3 for you to hear what it sounds like. Previously I've had problems with my CPU usage being too high for the software to pull accurate feed from the interface, but this is just horrible. I'm running it with a load of free ram and CPU power at a standard rate (44100) and whatnot. No idea what the deal is. Has anyone experienced something like this or does anyone know what the problem could be?

firetech said:
I have a rather new (2004) M-Audio Delta 44 PCI interface that has been GREAT for using with my little home recording setup.

However, almost out of nowhere, its sound quality has suddenly spiraled into a scratchy, distorted, warbley ickyness. I've narrowed it down and it is most certainly the interface but I'm not sure what could be causing it to do this.

I recorded something really quickly and encoded it as an MP3 for you to hear what it sounds like. Previously I've had problems with my CPU usage being too high for the software to pull accurate feed from the interface, but this is just horrible. I'm running it with a load of free ram and CPU power at a standard rate (44100) and whatnot. No idea what the deal is. Has anyone experienced something like this or does anyone know what the problem could be?

Yeah. About two days ago in this forum. Try switching slots. Windows has a tendency to randomly and idiotically change interrupt settings in harmful ways....

Yes, I've tried using all of the inputs and different cables (even balanced and unbalanced ones). I don't think that I suffer from Window's idiocy seeing as I'm (fortunately) on a Mac. I'm running Apple's latest operating system, 10.4.2, and M-Audio has a "working" update for their software specifically addressing the 10.4.2 update.

I really can't figure this one out. Anyone have any more suggestions?

firetech said:
Yes, I've tried using all of the inputs and different cables (even balanced and unbalanced ones). I don't think that I suffer from Window's idiocy seeing as I'm (fortunately) on a Mac. I'm running Apple's latest operating system, 10.4.2, and M-Audio has a "working" update for their software specifically addressing the 10.4.2 update.

I really can't figure this one out. Anyone have any more suggestions?

Ah, a Mac user. Well, we can rule out IRQ conflicts, since you have... probably 64 of them. :)

Hmm. I just listened to the noise. I guess I should have done that to begin with.... :D

Anyway, what I hear sounds almost electrical to me---like maybe dirty contacts somewhere. Have you tried removing and reseating the card? Is your computer on the same circuit as... say an air conditioner motor or something? And for a really horrible question... is the power cord solidly plugged into the back of your machine?

What model of Mac is this?

Can you bypass your M-Audio and do a test recording using the Mac's internal soundcard? If you use the same outboard setup (mic, cables, etc.) that would allow you to determine if it's actually the M-Audio or something else. As everyone else noted, it really sounds electrical rather than the kind of pop or click you could expect from a software or other computer-based issue. But, just in case, you should probably do some routine system maintainence on your mac.

Sorry for the belated reply...

- I'm running a G4 Tower (originally 350Mhz) @ 1.3 Ghz w/ 1 GB of RAM

- What do you mean by new needle? Are you talking about the scsi connection, the audio cable?

- I used Native Instruments' GuitarRig to record the little bite you heard. On my songs, I typically I record on Apple's GarageBand (especially when I want to synthesize drums). I've used Cubase pretty thoroughly, but the interface isn't very intuitive and it's got a lot more power than I need... I used to just use GuitarRig for everything. It was kinda silly because it's not multitrack or anything. I've grown out of that though ;-)

- I'm not at home right now, but I'll fiddle with the connections and try recording using the built-in audio interface instead of my Delta 44. You guys seem to all agree it's a hardware issue. I hope my interface is ok!

- Oh, one more thing. What causes an IRQ conflict? (sorry if I sound stupid) I'm told Macs generally don't suffer from these kinds of things... I guess at least when I don't introduce hardware made by companies who don't bother to make sure their components operate properly on a Mac machine...

Thanks so much for your replies. I really appreciate all the help.

firetech said:
- What do you mean by new needle? Are you talking about the scsi connection, the audio cable?

I think Massive Master was joking because your noise issue sounded a bit like a bad phonograph needle.

dwillis45 said:
I think Massive Master was joking because your noise issue sounded a bit like a bad phonograph needle.

Haha! Whoa, cool. I should keep it this way. Maybe it'd be a really cool "vintage" effect ;-)

firetech said:
Haha! Whoa, cool. I should keep it this way. Maybe it'd be a really cool "vintage" effect ;-)

when was the last time you rebooted the machine? sometimes that will help out a lot! also you might try downloading audacity and see if it does the same thing with the hardware..... as for the vintage effect i leave taht up to a couple VST plugs but.... hey i hope it gets fixed for ya there is nothing like haveing software not work right or hardware also...

Back