Clicking, Popping, with Layla3G I've tried EVERYTHING!

trogdor

Hopefully somebody can help me...I'm using my Layla3G with my pretty new PC setup (Athlon 64 3000+, 512mb RAM, etc.) and when recording into nuendo I get little pops and clicks in the sound...

I have adjusted the buffers all over, and they are still there. I checked the IRQ settings, and it turned out that Echo card was sharing an IRQ # with my network card, so I switched the Echo to a different slot and now it has it's own IRQ but the pops and clicks are still there!! I don't really run any apps in the background, and I know my PC is easily fast and capable enough, as my older slower system worked fine.

Sorry if this is vague, but does ANYONE have any other suggestions to try???

I am using the ASIO drivers with nuendo...i also tried recording in cooledit and i still get the clicks with WDM.

I'll give his PCI latency program a shot...in the meantime, here is a short clip of my korg ms2000 that exhibits the kind of clicks i'm getting...all levels were low when i recorded it and there was no clipping coming into the card.

Okay, tried the PCI latency adjustment program and it didn't make any difference. Took out the only other PCI card I have in my PC, my wireless network card...and still got clicks with just the Layla3g in there.

I have a pretty heavy duty graphics card for gaming (GeForce 6800) could that be hogging resources or something?

I guess i'll have to call Echo if I don't get it figured out soon...though I can't even imagine how many "pops and clicks" calls they get in a day.

What OS are you using? There are some useful tweaks for Windows XP on the net that I've used on my system (XP Pro SP2, Athlon 2100+, 1 gig ram). I remember seeing tweaks for Windows 2000 as well (I used to use 2000 for audio).

Also, what chipset is you motherboard using? I know that Echo Audio usually recommends using Intel chipsets with Intel processors, and extensively tested their hardware with Asus processors using AMD and VIA chipsets. This held true for the Gina24, Mona24, Layla24 and MiaMIDI24 deviced I believe - not sure exactly what is recommended with the 3G devices.\

I'd also make sure you don't have a slew of processes running on boot-up. I have minimal processes running with only a couple showing in the taskbar near the clock, and in the task manager I'm running as minimum as possible with what I'm doing with my computer.

I use that latency software posted above too. Works well, and it's running on boot-up. I have a now "older" ATI Radeon card that defaults at 255 latency, knocked it down to 96 with no problems whatsoever.

Well i did some experimenting in Cooledit, and if I UNCHECK the "try as WDM" under device properties for the layla ins 1-2 and outs 1-2 i dont get pops.

So if cooledit isn't using WDM, I'm not sure what that means it is using, but does this indicate that it is the ASIO drivers? I have the most current driver installed for the Layla3G, but it is the only available driver and called Echo WDM driver...does this mean that when I use ASIO in Nuendo it is using Nuendo's ASIO driver?

I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not there is some way to update my ASIO driver or if it is included in the Echo WDM driver.

headache... :-/

warble said:
What OS are you using?

I'm using winXP home, with an athlon 64 on an MSI K8N neo motherboard...a setup that until now has been nothing but stable and reliable. I dont run a bunch of crap in the background...and I have tried a couple of the tweaks from musicxp.net but my pc is pretty darn quick and i dont really think that the problem is that it is being taxed too much. Anybody else using the Echo 3G boxes?

trogdor said:
Well i did some experimenting in Cooledit, and if I UNCHECK the "try as WDM" under device properties for the layla ins 1-2 and outs 1-2 i dont get pops.

So if cooledit isn't using WDM, I'm not sure what that means it is using, but does this indicate that it is the ASIO drivers? I have the most current driver installed for the Layla3G, but it is the only available driver and called Echo WDM driver...does this mean that when I use ASIO in Nuendo it is using Nuendo's ASIO driver?

I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not there is some way to update my ASIO driver or if it is included in the Echo WDM driver.

headache... :-/

The drivers should include ASIO drivers. I'm using a Gina24 with version 6.08 drivers, and am able to use WDM or ASIO.

Okay NO CLICKS with the WDM drivers in cooledit, but i wanna use nuendo!! And it seems I can only use the ASIO drivers in nuendo...are there any other options? It has to be a driver issue no?

Sorry if I missed this somehow, but do you use a separate hard drive for audio?

Check www.MusicXP.net for more tweaks.

I have the Layla 24/96, and I couldn't get the ASIO drivers to work well with Vegas. But I take it Nuendo doesn't support WDM?

Yea nuendo only will use ASIO drivers. I found out when I unplug the MIDI in cable from the Korg, the pops in the incoming audio go away...they usually occur when i turn a knob and it sends midi info in.

Anyway, I installed my midisport 2x2 instead of using the Layla's onboard MIDI and for now it seems like i can get midi in the midisport and audio into the layla with no pops or clicks. Just seems like I should be able to use the audio and midi ins on the layla simultaneously without clicks...

Back