click track or none

davexxxxx

I am wondering what methods folks are using out there when recording drums or a rythem track. Do you use a click track?? or not.
If you do ,,, do you record say a rythem guitar and drums while both are playing to a click track?? Or record just the rythem guitar to a click track and then add drums?? OR the old fashion way by recording the whole ryghem section at once with out a click track.
I am interested in knowing what methods you are using out thiere.

I program a click pattern on an Alesis SR-16. It'll usually have a stick hit on the quarters and a shaker pattern to give it a little groove. I record a guitar scratch track before recording the drum parts about half of the time.

I know I probably shouldn't, but when I record drums first, I don't use a click.

When I'm fitting drums over other recorded tracks, absolutely use a click

It might be an idea to record a rough scratch track with some guitars or something along to a click track, and then track the drums using that. I always figure it make more sense tracking the drums if you can here at least a rough version of the tune in your head. Gives you more of a feel for the tune, and in some cases the mood of the tune itself could affect the drumming to further enhance the mood. Same with a lot of intruments I guess. Ther more stuff you are playing along to at the time, the more you can get a feel for it.

Once upon a time I was a firm believer in click tracks. I ain't so sure anymore. I sort of fall in love with all the little human things that go on that let a tune breath. YMMV.

I've always used a click track. I setup a generic midi click on one of my tracks, then adjust the bpm. Now, all of my follow-up tracks should be perfectly in line.

mainly, i record drums with a click track running through my headphones. if the song has extended sections without drums, i will record the click track to tape, and erease it later.

Track Rat said:
Once upon a time I was a firm believer in click tracks. I ain't so sure anymore. I sort of fall in love with all the little human things that go on that let a tune breath. YMMV.

I totally agree with you there. Aside from what I said in my last post, which was hypothetical cos I program my drums anyway, I much prefer to play along to, or at least play to part of, a song. Click track just doesnt cut it for me...For one I get completely lost when I just hear the same tone repeated, and I prefer to hear some rhythm of something when I'm playing...it goes back to what I was saying before about getting a feel for the tune.

legionserial said:
It might be an idea to record a rough scratch track with some guitars or something along to a click track, and then track the drums using that. I always figure it make more sense tracking the drums if you can here at least a rough version of the tune in your head. Gives you more of a feel for the tune, and in some cases the mood of the tune itself could affect the drumming to further enhance the mood. Same with a lot of intruments I guess. Ther more stuff you are playing along to at the time, the more you can get a feel for it.

This is what I do. Lay a scratch of vox/guitar to a click. Then I play that back while tracking percussion. Then I mute the click & scratch and just record using the real percussion. I'm not a good enough drummer to play without hearing the flow of the song.

I've used click tracks before. They can be difficult to get rid of if you go back later to edit your music (especially if your dad's recording equipment crashes and you lose the original data).

I always think it's best to start with some kind of percussion recording (especially if your guitarist's sense of rhythm is questionable). If I don't have a drummer available, I'll usually play the rhythm guitar or bass along with a drum machine or click track and then layer on the rest of the instruments.

Loops can work well also. If you can find a loop that fits with the style and tempo of your song, give it a shot. Some people play better to something that is in time and musical, instead of BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Ok thanks for the input. Do any of you record a guitar with the click track and then turn it off and then track the drums or do you leave both the scratch guitars and the click on to record the drums????

I guess I find it a little weirder than you do that we live in the same suburban city, it being such a large world and all. :o

Anyways, to answer your question, do whatever works for you. There are no rules. Sometimes I remove the click after I record the scratch guitar, if the guitar part nails the groove, which is hard to do with a click track.

Click tracks also help you see if someone knows there shit or not...
you would be surprised the people (mostly drummers :P) who cant keep time to a simple 4/4 beat.. if they cant, i say they need more practice

yes i have worked with alot of people too who cannot keep time witha click track. they say that they would rather record without so that it doesn't sound so mechanical but the truth is that they just can't keep time. you can play with a click track and still get a natural feel because you are never going to play in perfect time with it. you are going to lag a little hear and there and push it a little here and there. it just makes life so much easier later on if you can start with a click track. unfortunatly you may not have the luxury of working with people that can do such a simple task.

A click is good for keeping a drummer with bad time in line, but he needs to practice a lot with it before the session. Good drummers will need less practice, but still some unless the song is very straightforward.

The default decision is to use a click unless the drummer is really bad or really good. Sometimes really good drummers can consciously adjust the tempo for a live feel. Some really bad drummers are hopeless with a click so it's not an option.

If you plan on editing, you'll need one.

Back