Click sounds on bass track

groovy

I often record a bass guitar and a keyboard at the same time. The bass guitar is connected to a bass combo that has a balanced line output which is connected to my sound card through a balanced cable. The problem is that sometimes the bass track will contain annoying click sounds (not many - just tho two four on a whole recording). In my DAW (Reaper) I can identify them as very short spikes - see attached image. They never occur on the keyboard tracks.

Can anyone give me a hint to what could be the cause of these clicks?

peak.png

I have heard this myself on some of my stuff. For me, it is the way a pick or fingernail attacks the string. I will usually retrack if I hear it. But without hearing what you're talking about, we can only guess. Do you have a sample?

You should also post the actual sound track (you can attach it as an MP3 )fpr the Top Guys here to listen to.
Meantime, download CPLatency checker and run that for 10mins or so. Bet you will see spikes.

Or, the amp is picking up electrical interference, most likely a fridge thermostat.

If so, treat the fridge NOT the audio power supply!

Dave.

Besides everything mentioned, it could be as simple as the bass player digging in and hitting the pickup with the string. Even though, from the looks of it, that probably isn't it.

Back