Cliche Pop Rock

prestomation

I did this for my old guitar player of mine.

DMP3, my berri mixer for the drum tracks beyond what the DMP3 provided. Guitars are all reamped POD XTL, Bass/synths is DI. Vocals are AT4040.

This is his first vocal ever, it's not too bad. Maybe a little too much auto tune, but it goes with the style, right? ;)

I'm still not sure about my monitor setup, too much bass?

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=14577

Thanks alot

Sounds pretty good.

The distorted guitar is a little muddy. It's not bad, but I think it would be better if you eq'd it a little higher.

The autotine sounds...interesting. I expected some kind of vocal filter there, but got autotune instead. It's cool that you're mixing and matching the cliches of different genres there, which gets you some points. But it is still autotune :D

Good song.;

I just think your volcals could come out a bit more, it's like they are burried in the mix.. Or just reduce the guitars a bit.. Pop music is all about drums and bass and vocals.. especially vocals.. guitars should be less present.

In the beginning the acoustic intro guitar could do with a little compression.. To get an overall level sound instead of the heavy strum and quick fade out you got now.

Vocals really need to be brought up. No question about that. The drums sound a little boxxy, but the performance is really good. The acoustic sections sound awesome. The autotune? Not my taste at all. As a matter of fact I HATE that sound. It actually makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

The electric guitar could use some eqing, maybe just a high pass filter? The bass guitar was kind of absent. I like the song a lot, with some mixing you could probably correct many of the issues.

Not sure if the vocals need to come up or the guitars need to come down.
More definition on bass would be cool too. Mix overall just needs some slight tweaks IMHO but it's pretty good so far.

The middle autotune part is not necessary - you should try this again with straight vocals. This singer has a classic 2000+ vocal sound and autotune only subtracts from that quality (the ending vocal section is exactly what I am referring to - it's better unprocessed).

Love the tune - who wrote it - well done...

I like the sound of the song, I really like it in fact.

But the electric guitars do sound quite muddy, and because of that I don't hear any bass guitar... the frequencies that the bass needs to be heard are being taken by the electric guitars... if that makes sense? It kind of sounds like they are being played in an empty parking garage.

But that's very minor, I really like the sound of the song and the playing and style are cool, and the mixing is good. The only thing I can think of is those electric guitars.

But hey, keep up the good work!

-James'

The distorted guitars are a bit muddy, as mentioned, and could probably come down a bit in the mix. When they kick in, all I hear are the guitars, drums and the buried vocals. The bass has no body, and it's barely heard at all.

Back