Cleaning tape heads?

kr236rk

Hi,

Can I use ISOPROP to clean a pinch roller please?

There's a thread here which mentions doing that:
Film-Tech Forum: TEAC Rubber Cleaner

I don't think custom-made chemicals for tape deck cleaning are easily available these days.

Any further suggestions for cleaning the capstan and so forth greatly appreciated!

Already running a degausser ;)

Thanks -

Ric

Avoid chemicals on the rubber pinch roller.
The "Rubber Cleaner/Re conditioner" products are only to be used very rarely and when the roller is in pretty bad shape....because those chemicals actually melt some of the rubber surface to "recondition" it. Too many uses and your roller can ruin the roller, as it will keep absorbing those chems.
I have a small bottle of the stuff, but have not used it on any pinch rollers in many, many years.

Good old water does a great job, and if there's a bit more than usual oxide on the roller, then add a touch of dish soap foam.
You can do it right at the deck with Q-Tips, but it's easiest if you simply remove the pinch roller...make sure to remove all washers/shims/screws/bearings, and keep them in order for the return...then take just the rubber roller over the the sink, and wash it! :)
Dry it off....I use something that is lint free, or a hair dryer on low, or just shake it off an let it air dry.

For the capstan, heads, guides....get as close to 100% pure isopropyl alcohol, but over 90% is OK.
Some folks like to use denatured alcohol, and have used it with success and without issue, but I personally avoid the stuff because not all denatured alcohol is a standardized blend of chems, and some blends could have additional chems that are potentially bad for some types of plastics and glues, etc.....and that's why isopropyl is the best choice for me...YMMV....

I have been told that the best way to clean a pinch roller is in dish washing liquid. I have used Isoprop before and the roller disintegrated.

Alan.

I have tried dishwashing detergent to clean the pinch roller and I found it to become unduly slick. Then I had to wash it again with water profusely to get it back to normal.

Since then I've used either water for mild cleaning or in extreme cases a rubber-renew compound that is extremely harsh & disintegrates the top layer of the rubber. The rubber compound was also known as typewriter platen cleaning compound back in the day. In my field tech days we used this to clean the platens (striking surface/feed roller) on impact printers. Use of vinyl gloves in an outside area is prudent when using the rubber cleaning compound.

The rubber in the pinchwheel & belts is funny. Often due to age and/or other environmental factors, it reaches a point when it may disintegrate and go gooey, while in other similar cases the rubber parts may hold up for decades. Go figure?

:spank::eek:;)

I have tried dishwashing detergent to clean the pinch roller and I found it to become unduly slick. Then I had to wash it again with water profusely to get it back to normal.

It needs to be a very week mixture of dishwashing liquid, get the cheap brand of liquid and it will probably be OK LOL.

Alan.

Back