Cleaning connections...

pearldrum944

So, tonight I accidentally moved a 1/4" patch cable and all kinds of static occurred. After I played with the cable for a minute the static went away, is it okay for a cable to make this noise when moved since they stay stationary, or do they need to be static free? Also, what is the best way to clean them and how often?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but the search function doesn't seem to work well....when I've been drinking. :eek:

it shouldn't make any noise period. you can try contact cleaner, a brillo pad, or 0000 steel wool (lightly) on the plugs if you think they're dirty. beware if you have those cheesy gold connectors. ime, static from a cable is usually stray wires, broken wires, or a failed solder joint. assuming it's not the gear that the cable is connected to.

Could also be a marginal or bad connection within the cable or plug itself... there's a lot of stress on the cable right where it meets the connecter. Stranded wires can break and only make a physical connection when the cable is bent a certain way. Broken strands can short...

Back