Cleaning a Mixer?

bryanzera

I've recently come across an older mixer which looks serviceable, but when I opened it up, I found grease and dust all over everything. The circuit board is grimy, the faders are covered. Are there any solvents that I can use to safely clean the grime off this board? Any techniques that would help de-grime this bad boy?

A vacuum cleaner with a soft brush at the end of the air hose is all I would use on a circuit board. Maybe a bed sheet type of cloth for wiping.

Solvents are a no no..

Regarding faders, you would be suprised how cheap some manufacturers charge for replacements. I bought an old Soundcraft board and located the faders at $8 a peice.

Another approach is to find another similar board and used it for parts.

In about 1991 we were "given" a Trident 24 channel board, which at the time was about 7 years old (in their day - Trident boards were very respected).

Sadly, the board had been left in a basement for several months and a cat had pissed on the board (many times). When we fiirst went to look at it, the smell of cat piss was blinding. When we went to move the board, piss literally poured out of it.

We took it apart and used electronic cleaner on every thing (the channels were moduler - so we took each one out and sprayed cleaner amd used a fine brush.)

Hard to beleive, but we were able to get all but one channel working (including the buss channels, etc. However try as we may, we could not get the piss smell out of the metal frame (we tried everything!!!!!).

I simply could not have that smell in the studio. I sold it to a guy (for $100) that ran sound - he used it at outdoor festivals (where the smell was not as much an issue). Given that it was likely about a $2,000 board (at that time) it seemd like such a waste.

The point being - if your mixer doesn't have piss in it - some diligent work and plenty of electronic cleaner - may get the faders, etc to work. Naturally, circuit boards require a very careful approach.

I can relate to the cat piss story. Our old cat had been using a spot under one of our lamp tables for months. The smell became overwhelming even after cleaning the rugs. The problem was the urine had been absorbed into the wood of the table.

I threw the table out, problem solved.

mikeh said:
In about 1991 we were "given" a Trident 24 channel board, which at the time was about 7 years old (in their day - Trident boards were very respected).

Sadly, the board had been left in a basement for several months and a cat had pissed on the board (many times). When we fiirst went to look at it, the smell of cat piss was blinding. When we went to move the board, piss literally poured out of it.

We took it apart and used electronic cleaner on every thing (the channels were moduler - so we took each one out and sprayed cleaner amd used a fine brush.)

Hard to beleive, but we were able to get all but one channel working (including the buss channels, etc. However try as we may, we could not get the piss smell out of the metal frame (we tried everything!!!!!).

I simply could not have that smell in the studio. I sold it to a guy (for $100) that ran sound - he used it at outdoor festivals (where the smell was not as much an issue). Given that it was likely about a $2,000 board (at that time) it seemd like such a waste.

The point being - if your mixer doesn't have piss in it - some diligent work and plenty of electronic cleaner - may get the faders, etc to work. Naturally, circuit boards require a very careful approach.
your story is hilarious. talk about pisspoor! i can't believe you actually worked on it. the smell of cat urine has to be the most offensive smell. my cat used to piss on anything made of canvas (gig bags, backpacks). that sucked!

In hindsight, I can't beleive we worked on it either - at the time we hoped to salvage it simply because when that board was new (mid 80's) it was about a $12,000 board.

Up until that encounter - had no idea how bad cat piss could be. I now have much respect for cat piss. I actually worship cat piss. I plan to name my first born Catpiss.

Wine connoisseurs actually can identify what part of the world a white wine comes from based on its cat piss aroma. No joke. A certain type of grape, I forget which one, exudes a subtle aroma and is indicative of the grape and region it was grown in.

Never thought cat piss could be useful....

Back